Jerusalem... if I forget you

4 years ago today I boarded a plane headed for Jerusalem.  I can honestly say that my 4 months traveling in the Holy Land was the second best thing I've ever done in my life, and it's second only to marrying Eric. The scriptures came alive for me in Israel, and I found myself searching the scriptures more diligently than I ever had before.  I also made some of the best friends I've ever had - I still consider many of the people I met in Israel to be my best friends.  My pilgrimage to the Holy Land shaped the rest of my college experience and made me a better person.  While in Israel, Jeffrey R. Holland gave a devotional and said that if we could go home and not be different than when we arrived, we were a disappointment to him.  My life changed for the better as a result of Jerusalem.

Here is a small fraction of the things I learned while in the Holy Land:
  • Regardless of religion, most people are worshiping their God the best way they know-how.  If we look close enough, all religions are remarkably similar.  We can relate to any other religion if we just look hard enough.
  • Writing down experiences means you will remember them better.
  • Forgiveness comes when we least expect it. 
  • Jesus Christ atoned for our sins in Gethsemane.
  • Conversion is a life-long process, not an event.
I learned so many more things, but these are the things that came to mind this morning as I reflect on my journey to the Holy Land.  
















Comments

Popular Posts