Boston Day 1

Boston is such a great little city.  I’ve never been here before and after just one day I LOVE it.  All except their baseball team.  I still don’t like them, but the town is great!  We woke up this morning at 3:30 in DC to catch a 6:00 flight out of Baltimore.  Needless to say, we were exhausted.  We got on the plane and slept for the most part and landed in Boston just an hour later. 

We had an early check-in at our hotel, so we immediately drove to our hotel in Boston and showered, and got ready for the day.  Driving through Boston was awesome – it made me so excited to see the rest of the city.  After we were cleaned and more rested, we got our day started at Fenway Park.  In case there is any question of loyalty, WE ARE YANKEES FANS.  But Boston is a great baseball town so it’s necessary to at least go to the stadium.  If the Sox were in town this week, we would go to a game as well, but we would not wear an ounce of red or cheer for the Red Sox one bit. 





Our tour guide was great.  We started with the Visitors Clubhouse, which was fun to imagine the Yankees hanging out in the clubhouse before the game.  It’s surprisingly small, but still pretty cool.  The next place we went was to the oldest seats in the house, which are originals since 1934.  The stadium was first used in 1912, but the team came under new ownership in 1934, and they gave the stadium a much-needed facelift.  Some of the seats they put in the stadium are still in use today.  This picture is the view from the oldest seats in the park.




The next place we went was the Green Monster (or Monsta if you are from Boston).  Sitting on top of the Monster was super fun.  I hope when we get to a game in Fenway, we sit up there.  From the Monster, you can see all the years the Sox have won both the World Series and the American League pennant.  One interesting fact, during the curse of the Bambino the Red Sox played in 4 World Series and lost all of the series in 7 games – heartbreaking for Sox fans, but heaven for the Yanks.  The Monster seats were actually first opened in 2003 with the new ownership.  The new owners have made a lot of changes to the stadium, but keeping with tradition they’ve painted it the same color of green as the rest of the stadium so nothing stands out – pretty cool. 




Our next stop was the Red Sox Mickey Mouse.  A few years ago when the All-Star Game was in Anaheim they made a Mickey Mouse for each team.  I'm a huge Disney fan, so I absolutely loved it.  I wonder where the Yankees Mickey is? 


Our next stop was the Press Box, which was fun for me because we saw the booth where John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman do the radio broadcast for the Yankees vs. Red Sox games at Fenway.  We love John and Suzy.  Their booth is Box 5.  We walked around the rest of the stadium and the guide told us lots of fun historical facts.  One of our favorite stores was the 1934 owner and his wife were quite a romantic couple so they would go to the Stadium and have picnics on the field and listen to the games when the Sox were out of town.  One day, they decided they wanted to leave their initials on the scoreboard so they would be remembered so they put their name in morse code in the outfield.  I thought that was funny.  Overall, we had a great day and I left with a lot of respect for the Red Sox team because they are just as passionate about their team as we are about ours.  I just hope theirs loses. 





After Fenway, we grabbed some lunch and headed across the river to Cambridge to see Harvard.  Harvard was a lot of fun.  The campus is GORGEOUS - Eric loved the red brick. It was so fun to walk around and think about all the higher education that happens there.  When I was young, it was my dream to go to Harvard and be an astronaut. Neither of those things happened, and I have no regrets about my education, but it was a lot of fun to be at the place I dreamed of going to as a child.  I'm glad my parents let me dream big, and I hope that someday our children can go to Harvard if they would like. 




After Harvard, we drove around MIT.  I had a cousin that studied at MIT so it was fun to be there.  I didn't realize how close Harvard and MIT were. At this point, we were quickly running out of steam.  We headed across the bridge back to Boston and walked along the Charles River.  It was a nice walk and helped us get our energy back up.  The 3:30 morning definitely took its toll today.  


After walking the Charles River, we went to dinner at Legal Sea Foods.  I've literally heard about Legal Sea Foods since I was in elementary school and my parents ate there when they came to Boston.  You would think after hearing about it my whole life, my expectations would be high and I would be disappointed, but it did not disappoint one bit.  The Clam Chowder was the best chowder I've ever had in my life (or Chow-Da if you are from Boston).  


Eric's not a huge Chowder fan, but even he loved it.  It was seriously amazing. For dinner, Eric had salmon and I had lobster.  


When they brought out my lobster, I was shocked.  I've only ever had Lobster tail before, so that was what I was expecting. 


The good news is that the waitress was adorable and helped me shuck the lobster.  it was delicious of course and Eric also loved his salmon.  It was such a fun and unique dinner.  I can't wait to eat there again!  After dinner, we headed over to Faneuil Hall and walked around for a bit.  There is this awesome Christmas shop that I'm dying to go back to tomorrow.  It seemed like a really fun market, but we didn't spend too much time there because we will head by it again tomorrow while walking on the Freedom Trail.  Overall, we had a great first day in Boston - I'm excited to see what the rest of this week has to bring! 

Comments

Popular Posts