New York, New York

This week we made some exciting plans. It all started two weeks ago. I was at SetteBello Pizzeria for lunch with some coworkers when I got a text from Alison: “Did you see the Yankees news? So Sad!” I was immediately concerned and quickly pulled up the news. Derek Jeter, the Yankees Captain, announced 2014 will be his final season – he has decided to retire. My first thought was that Alison and I had to go to a Yankees game this year, preferably the final regular-season home game. I remember watching the last regular-season home game last year when Mariano Rivera retired and wishing I was there. I decided then that when Derek Jeter decided to retire I would do everything I could to go. I wanted it so bad – going to Derek Jeter’s final regular-season game at Yankees stadium is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

I thought about it for a while and my heart sank.  When I decided I wanted to go to Jeter’s last regular-season home game I thought we would have at least two or three more years. The news was very sudden and somewhat surprising. It also created a lot of problems. This year we are going through a lot of changes with my internship and then starting the Macc in the fall. It makes this trip complicated. On top of that, we already have a trip to New York booked for November. I thought about all of this and talked to Alison and we decided our chances of going to the game were bleak.

The entire day of the announcement Alison and I kept talking about it because we both wanted to go. Alison kept an eye on ticket prices. After the announcement prices on stub hub and other secondary markets shot up to the point it would cost at least $600 for two tickets to the game. As much as we wanted to go that was way too much for us to pay for tickets. 

Alison put together a plan and potential budget for the trip. We decided we could make it work if two things happened. First, we had to find a way to get tickets for a reasonable price. Second I needed to get a scholarship for the Macc.

Every year I join a fan club called Yankees Universe. They send me some Yankees gear and there are a few discounts/perks for being a member. One of the benefits is access to a pre-sale on single-game Yankees tickets. The pre-sale started on Tuesday at 10am Eastern Time. I knew this was my best shot at getting tickets at a reasonable price. On Tuesday morning I got up extra early and made sure I was at work in time to have my computer up and ready for the sale. Right at 8am I got on to buy the tickets. I was anxious, but everything went well and I got 4 tickets for a great price. Even though at this point the game was not a sure thing we figured if we don’t end up going to New York we would be able to sell the tickets without a problem. Step one was complete.

Then there was just one thing standing between Alison and me and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. When I applied for the Macc program I also applied for a scholarship. I was accepted into the program and the deadline was a few weeks ago so I have been expecting to hear back anytime now. On Friday I got an email informing me that I have been selected for a Graduate Assistantship.  I was thrilled. This is the best scholarship that is available for the Macc. Basically, I will work 10 hours a week assisting one of the accounting professors. In return, I get part of my tuition waived and a stipend.  This was great news not only because it will make the Macc more affordable, but also because Alison and I are now going to New York in September. 

Comments

Popular Posts