In Between

I have spent the last 7 weeks in between work and school. My internship with EY ended in March and school doesn't start until May. It was nice to have some time to relax and accomplish a few things I have had on the back burner. As I look back over the past few weeks a lot has happened. At first, I was worried about staying busy, but it really hasn't been a problem.
  • The best thing about having so much free time is all of the time it gives me to spend with Alison. We do a lot together - we go for walks, go to Yoga, and just hang out. It has been a lot of fun. 
  • I have also kept our apartment clean and prepared our meals. I make sure dinner is ready every day when Alison gets home from work. I know she enjoys these uses of my free time. 
  • I got ready for school to start. In April I was able to sign up for my summer and fall classes. Both semesters will be challenging, especially this summer. I am excited I am taking mostly upper-division accounting classes, which will be relevant to my future career. 
  • Alison and I attended the Cedartree Memorial Pow Wow with a friend I made during the internship. 
  • Baseball season kicked off in April. We had a family party to celebrate the Yankee's opening day. During opening week baseball was on all day and well into the night. I took advantage and watched as many games as I could. Alison and I have already enjoyed attending some games as well. We have watched the Bees, A's, and Giants play. 
  • I pursued my goal to learn about family history.
  • I babysat Skylee
  • Alison and I attended Les Miserables at the Hale Center Theater. 
  • I found opportunities to volunteer. Last year I heard a quote by Jackie Robinson, "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." This quote has stuck with me and inspired me to find opportunities to get involved in the community. 
    • In April, the University of Utah held a community engagement day and encouraged students to get involved. I decided to join Project Youth. This program brought 600 students from Title I elementary schools for a day at the University of Utah. The goal of the project was to inspire these students to set a goal to attend college. It was a huge event and I think I got as much out of it as the students. I worked with students from Lincoln elementary. I mentored them as we went to an assembly, attended some classes, and ate lunch. It was an amazing experience by the time the buses pulled away the kids were leaning out the windows and making a U sign with their fingers. We really inspired them to "Imagine U".
    • I also got involved in the literacy action center. This is the only organization focusing on functionally illiterate English-speaking adults in the Salt Lake area. During training, I was shocked to learn that in the US 20% of adults are functionally illiterate. In Salt Lake, that number is lower (around 10%). There is a great need for literacy assistance. I go one day a week and spend a few hours teaching at the center. It has been a very rewarding experience. 
  • Alison and I also began taking golf lessons. I thought about taking up golf for a while and I decided the best way to start would be by taking lessons. We are taking lessons at Fore Lakes through Straight Flight Golf, from Chip Thorpe. Before our lessons, I didn't know anything about golf. Now I know the basics, that golf is very challenging, and what I need to practice. Chip has been a great instructor and I would highly recommend him. 
Tomorrow I am starting a new internship at AutoPoint. It is an amazing opportunity. I wasn't planning on working while I finished up my schooling. This opportunity came and was too good to pass up. I had my reservations about taking on additional commitments, but after talking with Alison I decided to do it. Right after I made my decision I read this quote from Richard Branson that seemed applicable, "If somebody offers you an amazing opportunity but you are not sure you can do it, say yes – then learn how to do it later!"

Tomorrow I start a new adventure. 

Comments

Popular Posts