Flaming Gorge 4th


For the last two years, we've spent the fourth of July at Flaming Gorge with my family.  We have so much fun camping in the trailer and spending quality time on the lake.  Eric and I drove down Thursday morning with my parents and grandparents, and the rest of the family arrived either Thursday night or Friday mid-day.

After arrival, we ate lunch, I took a nap, and Eric went out on the lake with my Dad, my Aunt, and Uncle Kim & Gayle.  They caught a fish and the standard rule is to let the "kid" reel in the first fish.  Since Eric was the youngest, he got to reel it in.  When they got back, Kim & Gayle made a delicious dinner of Sanpete BBQ Turkey, corn, and potatoes.  Jake & Meg arrived just in time to eat dinner.  Delish!

Friday morning I woke up to an e-mail of Lou Gehrig's incredible "Luckiest Man" speech.  This July 4th marked the 75th anniversary of the speech.  Lou Gehrig has always been my favorite baseball player so re-reading the speech was a delightful way to start the day. The boys got up early and went fishing, and I slept in with the girls.  When they got back, we made a big breakfast and then went back out on the lake.  Unfortunately, the weather got pretty windy so we weren't able to get out, but we rode the channel all the way to the dam.  It was a beautiful drive on the lake!



We got back to the trailer just in time for Kristin, Dan, and Skylee to arrive!  We made some hamburgers to celebrate the 4th and then went back to the lake when the weather got better.  Dan and Eric were the first ones on the tube - this was big for Eric because he usually doesn't like tubing.  Jake was driving and he went crazy.  That's Eric hanging onto the tube after Jake flipped it over.


Also, I know I'm biased, but look how cute this little punkin' looks in her life jacket!  It fits her much better this year than it did last year.  



Eric had enough after the tube flipped, so Dan rode it alone for a while.  Meg and I were up next and holy moly, I'm still impressed we survived.  At one point, my feet were above my head because Jake took us over the world's largest wake.  Jake went next while Dan drove.  Dan totally rocked pulling the tube.  

We headed back to camp just in time for dutch oven cobbler (Eric and I made it before we went boating) and some home-made ice cream.  It was the perfect way to celebrate the independence of our nation! 

Saturday morning Eric and the boys went fishing again, while, my Mom, Kristin, and Meg went to my grandparent's hotel room to shower.  Even little Skylee got a bath - Skylee's bath time is my favorite.  


I was clean for approximately 2 hours and then we headed back to the lake!

Since we had discovered Dan's hidden talent of pulling the tube on Friday, Dan pulled the tube nearly the whole time we were out.  Jake and Kristin went first, and then Eric and I went.  After Eric had enough, Meg came out with me.  Meg and I are the best tubing buddies - we just laugh the whole time.




By the time we were done tubing, the wind started to pick up so we didn't pull out the wakeboards or the waterskis.  Jake and Dan wanted to go over to the rope swing, so we headed down the channel.  They both rocked it.





Eric drove the boat while Jake and Dan were at the rope swing.  He did such a great job.  After the rope swing, we took the long way back to camp through Horseshoe canyon.  It was gorgeous and we saw mountain goats!

The goats are impossible to see, but I promise the goats are there!
Kristin, Dan, Eric, and I were assigned dinner on Saturday night, so we decided to do Dutch Ovens.  we made dutch oven-fried chicken and cheesy potatoes.  We also had leftover corn from earlier in the week that Dan grilled and a caesar salad.  Jake and Dan also grilled up some of the salmon they caught during the week.  There was a mountain of food, but my goodness it was so good!  Skylee decided not to nap at all on Saturday, so she was kind of fussy, but mostly just really funny.  She still makes her duck face if we make it at her.  It's the best.  


Sunday morning we woke up, packed up camp, ate cereal, and headed home.  It was a great way to spend the 4th!  

Comments

Popular Posts