Re2pect


As of the all-star game last night, Derek Jeter is halfway through his final season as a New York Yankee.  This is a big deal considering that Derek Jeter became the everyday Yankee shortstop in 1996.  Jeter went 2-2 last night with a double and a run in the first inning.  It was so exciting!

Every year my family does a get-together for the All-Star game.  However, for the third year in a row Eric and I weren't able to watch the game together.  I was traveling the last two years and Eric had school last night.  Skylee Dallas, Dan, and Kristin were there though and I made sure Skylee saw Derek Jeter when they announced him early on, and of course for both of his hits.  I really think she understood the excitement because she would clap for him because the rest of the stadium was.  It was precious.  Of course, she also cheered for Robinson Cano, but we'll let that slide since she's only 14 months.  I'm sure she will learn who the true Yankees are with time.  


I love the ad about Derek Jeter.  It truly shows how respected he is by the fans, other players, and even his rivals the Red Sox and the Mets.  I think my favorite part is the very beginning where Bob Sheppard announces Derek Jeter.  Bob Sheppard died a few years ago after being the stadium announcer for over 50 years including most of Jeter's career.  Even after Bob died, Jeter wanted him to announce him at the stadium.  Every time Jeter steps up to the plate at the stadium, they play a recording of Bob Sheppard announcing him.  I love it.  Not only are we losing Derek Jeter, but we are losing the voice of God at Yankee Stadium.  Good thing he has a monument in Monument Park. 

I'm not sure what we will do without Derek Jeter as the Yankee shortstop.  He's been the shortstop since I was 6 years old.  I've never known another Yankee shortstop (except for the assortment of athletes that played shortstop last year while Jeter was injured.  They are, of course, entirely forgettable).  I can't wait to be at his last home game at the stadium so I can tip my cap as well.  


Comments

Popular Posts