Silver and Gold

We made it home!  The trip to NYC was absolutely everything we thought it was going to be.  It reminded me how much I absolutely love my parents, siblings, sibling in-laws, Eric, and of course little Skylee Dallas.  I know we are going to look back on this trip for several years with very fond memories.

My mama and her babies - one of my favorite pictures from the trip
We woke up bright and early this morning to catch our flight out of Newark.  I was surprised how few people were in the airport and we got right through security and on the plane.  We stopped in Minneapolis, which I dread because I have NEVER been on time out of MSP.  I thought we would break the trend today because we left only 5 minutes late, but somehow we lost 30 minutes in the air and were late into SLC.  Oh, how I hate Minneapolis.  We were all very glad to be home!

I've been telling Eric for weeks that the first thing I was going to do when we got home decorated the Christmas Tree.  I usually do it the day after Thanksgiving, but we were busy that day going to the Christmas Spectacular and NBC Studio Tour :).  After a quick bite to eat, we got our Christmas decorations out and I got to work.  We turned on the 25th Anniversary of Les Miserables while we decorate the tree. I don't really know how that tradition started, but Eric and I watch that every year when we decorate our tree.  It's perfect because we can just listen without really watching.

I tried a few different things with the tree this year and I absolutely love how it turned out.  I broke up the deco-mesh so it looks continuous, but each piece is actually separate.  I think it looks less heavy on the tree.  I also only used one color of mesh and added ribbon.  This is also the first year in our marriage that we've had a fake tree instead of living.  The fake tree is definitely easier to decorate and easier to manipulate.  I will miss the pine tree scent in our home, but it's definitely less hassle.



My favorite ornament this year is the peacock ornament.  I found it at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago and HAD to have it.  Eric may have rolled his eyes, but he gave in and bought it for me.  


All in all, we are ready for the  Christmas season.  I know this year I am particularly grateful for my family.  I don't know where we would be without them.  My mom is absolutely the most selfless person I've ever met.  She would do anything for her kids, whether it's giving me rides to the airport, giving Eric a ride to the U for the CPA exam so he wouldn't have to drive, giving me a hug when I'm sad, or making dinner whenever we don't feel like cooking, she's the absolute best.  My Dad is our rock.  Whenever I'm stressed, I always talk to him.  I joke that I don't make a major decision in my life without talking to my Dad, because he's so sensible and always makes sure that I'm being smart.

Kristin has the kindest soul in the entire world and she is a champion mom.  She absolutely adores Skylee.  And Dan is perfect for her.  He's always fun to be around.  Jake and Meg are hilarious.  They make me laugh every time I am with them.  And Bret is just so sweet and sensitive.  It's not hard to see that I have the best family in the world.

I was fortunate enough to meet the love of my life when I was 16 years old.  Being with Eric makes me so happy.  He always thinks about everyone else before himself and would do absolutely anything for everyone.  He's also the smartest person in the entire world.  I don't know where I would be without him.  I sure have a lot to be thankful for this holiday season!

Comments

Popular Posts