The True Meaning of Christmas

Today I've had plenty of time to think about the true meaning of Christmas.  We taught our primary kids about Christmas and watched a few church movies with them, including the "He is the Gift" video.  This video is truly excellent all about how the Savior is the First Gift of Christmas.  When we were in New York we went ice skating and my Dad mentioned that his mom loved ice skating.  I said that I missed her and my Dad said that the gift is that we know that we will see her again.  That is one of the many gifts that our Savior gives us.


During Church today the choir sang some wonderful songs that I had never heard before.  I loved them so much that I came home and found them.  The first is called "Gethsemane."  It seems odd to sing at Christmas, but as the narrators pointed out, without Easter there would be no Christmas. Christmas would simply be another baby born into the world.  Gethsemane and the atonement make the Savior's birth a miraculous event.  



Gethsemane song

Jesus climbed the hill to the garden still
his steps were heavy and slow
Love and a prayer took Him there
to the place, only He could go.

Gethsemane
Jesus loves me
so He went willingly 
to Gethsemane

He felt all that was sad
wicked or bad
all the pain we would ever know.
While His friends were asleep
He fought to keep
the promise He made long ago.

The hardest thing that ever was done
The greatest pain that ever was known
The biggest battle that ever was won
This was done by Jesus
The fight was won by Jesus

Gethsemane
Jesus Loves Me
so He gave His gift to me
Gethsemane

Gethsemane
Jesus Loves Me
So He gives his gift to me
From Gethsemane


Another song that touched me was called "Guard Him, Joseph."  This song was beautiful. I love that the Church has songs about Joseph and his role in raising the Savior.  One of my favorite Primary Songs is "When Joseph went to Bethlehem."  This song falls right in line with that one. 


Guard him, Joseph, as he slumbers,
There behind the stable doors
Let no errant sound distress him,
Tread thou softly on the floor
Linger watchful round the manger;
Hush thy voice and still the beasts
For thou hast within thy keeping

Christ, the infant Prince of Peace

Guard him, Joseph, through the darkness;
Watching o’er him till the dawn
Bid the shepherds enter meekly,
Stand in wonder, gaze in awe
Trim thy lamp and shield thy candle;
See they burn all through the night
For thou hast within thy keeping

Christ, the everlasting Light

Guard him, Joseph, from all danger;
Keep thy vigil nigh his bed
Let no harm nor grief befall him;
Stand thou in a father’s stead
When his mother’s arms be weary,
Hold him gently as thine own
For thou hast within thy keeping
God’s own well-beloved Son.


I'm so grateful for the Savior and for his birth and for his subsequent atonement.  Because of him, I will get to be with my family forever.  

Comments

Popular Posts