Business Convocations, a Graduation Party, and a Road Trip

Wow, graduation day was incredible. I think Alison put it best when she said, "It is the exclamation point at the end." It really was the perfect end to my time at the University of Utah.

Our sister-in-law, Meg, was also graduating today so we spent pretty much the entire day up at the U. On our way up we stopped for lunch at my favorite place in Salt Lake City, Robin's Nest. It was delicious. I always get the Gouda Smoker because it may just be the best sandwich in all of Salt Lake. After lunch, we headed over to the Huntsman center for Meg's graduation. She graduated from the college of health with a degree in exercise science. We are so glad she chose to walk and celebrate her accomplishment. It is a big deal. Congrats to her!

After Meg's graduation, we hung out with Blake, Debbie, Kent, and Aleene for a while before heading over to the Spencer Fox Eccles Business Building. The business school held a mingle/party before their graduation ceremonies. Because of the rain, it had to be moved indoors, which made it extremely crowded.



After the mingle, it was time to line up. This was one of the most fun moments of the night. I found all of my friends from the program and we lined up together. What I enjoyed the most about graduation was being surrounded by good friends. We have done so much together. We all stood there talking, laughing, and taking the moment in. There is no one I would rather end my time at the U with than them.



We stood in the rain waiting for the processional to start. Just as we began walking the rain stopped and the sun came out. The processional was led by bagpipes and drums, which was really cool. The MAcc students got to sit down on the floor of the Huntsman center. I was near the back with my group of friends. As we entered the area with our seats we turned around so we could see the crowd of friends and family who were there to support us. Tonight I was able to spot Alison, along with her family. They were yelling and cheering for me. I am so grateful for their support.








The ceremony was great. There was a huge number of students, but the business school was efficient and got through the ceremony in about 90 minutes. Dean Randall was really fun and had a lot of energy and he narrated and spoke. The message I took away from his remarks is that as a graduate of the David Eccles School of Business I should work through challenges life throws at me, rather than shy away from them. In 20 years it will be the things I did not do that I regret, not the things I did do.

Graduation felt so good and a big contributor to that were the people who came to support me. I am so happy they were at graduation because I would not have been there without their support. Thanks to Alison, Debbie, Blake, Deanne, Luke, Kristin, Dan, Skylee, Kent, Aleene, Jake, and Meg. You are my people and I am so glad you were there to celebrate with me. Thank you!









On Saturday we had a party to celebrate graduation. Kristin and Dan were gracious enough to offer their house as the location of the party. We were hoping to have it in their backyard but it poured the entire day. We were flexible and moved everything inside. Alison planned a BBQ theme. We were all about the comfort food. We had fried chicken, french fries, mac and cheese, baked beans, coleslaw, cornbread, watermelon, and strawberry shortcake. It was all delicious. Most of my family and Alison's family attended the party. The party was a success.

As soon as we got everything cleaned up Alison and I packed our bags and hit the road. For graduation, we are going to Carlsbad with some of our good friends. These past few days have been a whirlwind so it will be good to hit the beach and relax.

Comments

Popular Posts