MAcc Graduation

It has been a busy and exciting week. The first part of the week was stressful with finals, projects, etc. Now that is all over. I took my last final on Tuesday. I am done with school. It feels good. I made it!

The week before finals the MAcc program held a banquet to celebrate graduation. It was fun to visit with friends and professors as we celebrated the end of the semester. I have enjoyed the MAcc program. It was challenging (particularly this semester) and I learned so much. I had some wonderful professors and a couple classes that I truly loved. During the banquet, they gave out a few awards. I was grateful to be recognized by the faculty as an outstanding student and by my peers as a hard worker. 



Looking back at my time at the University of Utah I am amazed by the path I took. As much as I love to have a plan and know exactly how things are going to go my education did not work that way. When I started I could not imagine where I would be right now. I am grateful that I chose to attend the University of Utah, and that I pursued a degree in accounting. Both of these choices opened doors and gave me opportunities. I have been richly blessed with great experiences at the U and I cherish those moments. I made the most incredible friends who have shared the journey with me. It would not have been as fun without them. Hopefully, the friendship we have will last a lifetime. 

Last night Alison and I attended the University of Utah Commencement Ceremony with some of my friends. It was a great experience. Because of the potential for rain, there was not a full procession. Instead, the graduate students waited in the tunnel and marched in from there. The meeting was inspiring. The keynote speaker was U.S. Secretary of Veteran Affairs and U alum Robert McDonald. He shared a message about making a difference in the world by impacting one life at a time. He also talked about the importance of having a purpose in life. I very much enjoyed hearing about his experiences. They also gave out an Honorary Degree to President Eyring, and Mark Fuller (whose company created the fountains at the Bellagio.) It was a great start to our celebration of graduation.

Waiting in the tunnel 





There are many people who deserve my gratitude for the love and support they have shown me as I pursued my education. No one deserves that more than Alison. She has been my #1 supporter. Education is so important to her that pursuing my masters' degree was always more important than the sacrifices we had to make. Throughout everything, she has been incredible. I love her more than I could ever say.






Imagine U




A few months ago I was invited to submit a speech for graduation. I thought a lot about what I could say to capture my experience at the University of Utah.  I submitted my speech for consideration by the graduation committee was selected as a finalist. I presented my speech to the committee, but I was not chosen to speak at graduation. Writing the speech and preparing was a positive experience that helped me to reflect on what I loved about my time at the University of Utah. Here are my thoughts:

Every October thousands of monarch butterflies travel two thousand miles to nest in the eucalyptus trees in Pacific Grove. After completing their journey they cluster together among the trees. The sight of these butterfly clusters is breathtaking to behold. The story of their journey is even more incredible. They soar over mountains, through meadows, and across rivers. During their flight, these fragile creatures reach heights of ten thousand feet. Perhaps most amazing of all, by the time they settle into their groves in Monterey, four generations have passed. The butterflies arriving at the grove have never been there before. Here they wait, ready to begin the next journey. Like the butterflies, we have reached great heights and have completed our journey at the University of Utah.

One important lesson I learned at the University of Utah was to step out of my comfort zone. This quote by author and businesswomen Margie Warrell captures my experience, “In an increasingly competitive, cautious and accelerated world, those who are willing to take risks, step out of their comfort zone and into the discomfort of uncertainty will be those who will reap the biggest rewards.” Near the end of my undergraduate degree, I took a semester off to participate in an internship with Ernst & Young. The work was challenging, and there was a sink or swim mentality. The lessons I learned in school helped me, but I was asked to apply my knowledge in new, unfamiliar ways. It was difficult until realized I was in the same boat as everyone else. No one expected me to understand everything on day one or even by the end of the internship. They did not expect it to come easy. By the end of the internship, my comfort zone had grown immensely. Each of us will face challenges where we are asked to step outside our comfort zones. We will draw on the experiences we had as students at the University of Utah to help us overcome the challenges we face. 

During my time at the U, like many of you, I was able to take advantage of a world-class faculty, several of whom changed my life. When I started school, my goal was to graduate and pursue law school. Marci Butterfield changed my perspective in her Accounting 2600 class. She recognized my aptitude for accounting and encouraged me to develop my talent. Her interest literally changed the course of my life. Mark Peterson went out of his way to take a personal interest in me. He went from being a professor to becoming a friend and a mentor. He shared with me his professional connections and helped me get what every college graduate wants a job. I owe much of my decision to accept a position with Ernst & Young to Mark. Dr. Abe is one of the most inspiring human beings I have ever met. He would often tell us he poured his heart into our Accounting Ethics class, and it was true. He wove personal experience, up-to-date research, and inspiring literature into a presentation that impacted each student in the class.  One lesson he emphasized again and again was, collectively we can change the world.

The University of Utah provides many opportunities to give back. One of my most memorable experiences was the 2014 Community Engagement Day. I volunteered to be a mentor through Project Youth, which brought 600 students from Title I elementary schools to spend a day at the University of Utah. Our goal was to inspire these students to dream of attending college. As the students arrived, we stood on the sidewalk waving flags, holding signs, and cheering as they ran into Gardner Hall. Their excitement was palpable. The day was full of inspiring activities. In between the activities I got to know the students in my group. I did not have a profound conversation or make a life-changing connection with any of the kids. In fact, it was not until they were leaving that I realized how much of an impact the day had on them. As the buses pulled away the kids were leaning out the windows and making a U sign with their fingers. They were inspired to "Imagine U". They dreamed about being where we are today.


Like the monarch butterflies, we are at the conclusion of a magnificent journey. It was long and at times hard. We made new friends, had new experiences, and earned an education. We faced difficulties, overcame challenges, and found success. For some of us, we reached heights greater than we ever imagined possible. If I am sure of anything, I am sure it was worth it. Class of 2015 we have made it! Today is for us. Celebrate - enjoy it. We are here at a place none of us have ever been before, ready to begin our next journey.  Before we take flight, take a moment today to celebrate your accomplishment and thank those who helped you get to this point. I know I would not be here without the support of my wife, Alison, my mother, Deanne, my siblings, my in-laws, and many others who have influenced me. After our celebration today, it is my plea that we will spend tomorrow and every day after making a difference in this world.


Comments

Popular Posts