Travel Day

Today was mainly a travel day. I got up early to head to the airport. Shortly after I arrived I found out the plane had mechanical issues. It took two hours for Delta to get that all sorted out. I arrived in NYC around dinner time. It was annoying, but I really wasn't in a hurry so it didn't matter that much. The delay just meant I got to watch a few extra movies during my travels. Alison ended up working late so once I landed I started making my way down toward Battery Park. I was starving so on my way to the subway I grabbed a hot dog. One of my favorite things about New York is how easy it is to get good food really quickly. It took about a minute to grab my hot dog and I was on my way. There are so many little things that I love about New York City. I love riding the subway because there are so many different people you see and meet. It seems like everyone rides the subway. I also love the subway ads they are unique and interesting, and I love the art in the subway stations. Some of it is so random and so cool.

I wasn't in a hurry so I stopped by Grand Central Station. It is one of my favorite places. When you walk in you feel like - I am in New York. It is so bustling and so beautiful. I love the American flag on the wall and the constellations painted on the ceiling. I was still hungry so I headed downstairs to grab some dinner. I ate at Shake Shack. I have seen it so many times and always wanted to eat there. It was great. They make a really good burger and fries.


I jumped back on the subway and headed down to Battery Park. I love the beauty of Battery Park. It has been under construction for the past few years so about half the park is fenced off. I can't wait to see what it looks like when they finally finish. It was fun to watch squirrels chase each other around the park and to walk along the ocean while the sunset. It was cool to watch the sunset behind the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.



At this point, Alison was off work so I waited around Battery park while she took the Staten Island Ferry over to me. While I waited I met a couple of guys who were fishing in Battery Park. They used these huge poles and would put big 3-4 prong hooks on the end. For bait, they used fish heads. They said they would catch sea bass or bluefish. Between the two of them, they had 8 poles in the water. Once they had one baited they would put a bell on top so that they would hear if something was pulling at the pole.




Once Alison got to Battery Park we got on the subway and headed toward this park called the High Line. Alison was hungry so we stopped on our way and got some pizza. When we are in New York we don't mind eating pizza every single day. It is so good.

The High Line is one of those things we hear about doing in New York that we just never had a chance to do before. It is a park built thirty feet above street level on an old train track. It is probably no more than 15 - 20 feet wide, but it runs a few miles. When we first got up there we were a little disappointed, but as we walked we quickly understood why this is a popular destination. There were beautiful views of the city. There were also places where the trees and foliage were so thickly surrounding you that you couldn't even tell you were six feet removed from a bustling metropolis. It was peaceful and beautiful. We walked nearly the entire length of the park, talking and enjoying being together. It was a great night.





After that, we decided to call it a night. We headed back down to Battery Park to catch the Staten Island Ferry. This was my first ride on the ferry. It was very nice and we had some great views of lower Manhattan as well as the Statue of Liberty. If we weren't staying in Staten Island tonight I wouldn't have been much of a fan of taking the ferry, but it was kind of fun, and it was a good way to end our travel day in the city.


Comments

Popular Posts