Busy Season - Thursday

5:40am - I got to sleep in a little bit this morning as well. On Thursday I plan to go to the gym after work. It was nice that I got to sleep in. Today was the first day this week I woke up and didn't feel tired. I went through my normal routine - get dressed and ready, pack Alison's lunch, and eat breakfast. I was out the door right on time.

6:25am - My commute today was uneventful. Traffic was moving at freeway speeds and I made it to work in just under 20 minutes. That is the biggest benefit of coming to work early and leaving late - my commute is almost cut in half. Today we moved audit rooms. Normally the room the client has designated for us to work in has no windows. This isn't a big deal when we are working normal hours. During the busy season, we move into a conference room with a lot of windows. That way we get to see some sun during the day. It is a little thing that makes a big difference.

7:00am - Today was busy. I was getting back support all day long. I worked through many work papers. There are moments when things are going well. At those moments everything fits together and I understand what I am working on. Other moments are challenging. I can't seem to get the numbers to fit together. At those moments I feel kind of dumb. It can be really hard. Overall I felt like work went pretty well today, but it had its moments.

12pm - We went to lunch a little late today. The team was very indecisive about where we wanted to go. We ended up going to Cafe Rio. It is a solid and unspectacular choice. It is a little far so we had to drive. Since we park offsite we have to walk over to a car, drive to lunch, drive back to the parking garage, and walk back to work. It ends up extending lunch by at least 20 minutes.

1pm - The afternoon was more of the same. I worked some more on consolidations and spent quite a bit of time on accruals. It is good to be busy. I spent the next six hours working hard and I could hardly believe it when it hit 7pm. A little bit before it was time to go I ordered a sandwich from Jimmy John's. Since I wanted to hit the gym right after work I decided I would have to eat on my way. Fortunately, Jimmy John's delivered the sandwich right to where I was working.

6:50pm - I left work a few minutes early and headed to the gym. I had packed all my stuff the night before so I went straight there. I hit the gym at just the wrong time and it is packed. I was lucky enough to snag the last available treadmill for my run. I ran today at my race pace. My goal was to run 6 miles. I hit mile 1 and thought there was no way I was going to make it. I am not sure why but today running was really difficult. I gave it my all and lasted through mile 5.5. Part of me wonders how I made it so far. There were so many times I felt like I couldn't keep up the pace. At mile 5.5 my legs started to scream and I decided I should call it. While I ran I finished Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and I started watching The Walk. It is a super interesting movie. I walked for a while to cool down. After the gym, I stopped by the library to drop off some items I had checked out and to pick up a couple of things I had on hold. I also had to run by a bunch of different stores to pick up some folders Alison needed for work. I didn't know it would be so hard to find good folders. I ended up going to three stores and I still didn't love the ones I found.

9:45pm - I was finally home. I quickly put out my work clothes and gym clothes for tomorrow and read some mail. Then it was time to get ready for bed. I was exhausted. Alison got home from school just after 10:30pm and we called it a night. I am so glad tomorrow is Friday.

Comments

Popular Posts