Busy Season - Tuesday

4:35am - It was time for another today. I was tired – really tired. A big part of me didn’t want to get up and go to the gym, but it is only day 2 of the busy season. I convinced myself there was no way I would be giving up that early. It did take a few minutes longer to get up and out of bed this morning than it took yesterday. On my way out the door, around 4:50am I said goodbye to Alison and that I would see her tonight. Because she has class tonight and she was planning to go to the gym at 6am we wouldn’t see each other again until 10:30pm.

5am - I arrived at the gym. It is nice not to have to worry about finding an open treadmill. I jumped on one under a fan and went for a 4-mile run. I was still running at a fairly easy pace. I run easy 3 days of the week and at my race pace 1 day. I have been running pretty consistently for the past two months so I have built up a good base. This is week 1 of my official training program for the half-marathon and each week I will be ramping up. I continued to watch Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.  On my next run, I will finish it. I left the gym and headed home. I got there just as Alison was pulling out.
6am - Since Alison is going in to work today I put together a lunch for her. I do a lot of the prep work ahead of time to minimize the amount of work I need to do in the morning. I threw some tuna onto bread, grabbed a bag of carrots out of the fridge, prepared a bag of strawberries, and sliced up a pear. I put this all in a lunch box and leave it on the counter for Alison to grab on her way out the door. Then I quickly get ready for work, eat breakfast, and I am out the door.

6:30am - The drive today was a little treacherous. It rained last night and the temperature dropped causing ice to form on the road. It wasn’t too bad once I was on I-15. I listened to about 20 more minutes of my book before I got to work.
7am - Part of today was a waiting game. I got out a lot of requests and we were waiting to receive back support. I had things to do while I was waiting but it was mostly busywork. I wrapped up some documentation for an inventory count that I attended last month. I was also looking through legal invoices and recording any that were above certain thresholds. I also worked on clearing comments on some independent workpapers I prepared. These workpapers show that we don’t have any inappropriate relationships with our clients, which is a huge deal in the audit. I took a break mid-morning to call Alison and see how she was doing. This is especially important since we won’t see each other all day. I am pretty good at taking regular breaks. One of my favorite features of my Apple Watch is that it keeps track of how often I stand up. If I haven’t stood up for at least 1 minute during an hour it will remind me to stand up. My breaks are quick – usually just to go to the bathroom or get a drink, but it breaks up the day and makes sure I take a moment to step back. It gives me an important perspective on the work I am doing.
11:45am – For lunch today we went to Toasters. It is a good sandwich place that puts balsamic vinegar on everything. I got a ham and cheese sandwich. It is a sure bet. It doesn’t taste awesome, but I know it will taste good and it is fairly healthy.
12:15pm - I spend the rest of my workday updating memos and working through support as we receive it. It really wasn't too eventful of an afternoon. There is plenty to do and I stay busy until the afternoon. We really needed to get more support, but everyone at the client is slammed. I spend a good deal of my time reminding them what I need. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. 

7:00pm - It was time to call it a day. I walk out to my car and drive home. On my way, I stop by Smith's to get bananas, pears, and a few other things. Since we are trying to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables a midweek trip to the grocery store is a must. I come and eat leftovers for dinner. Then I take care of a  few things around the house. I do some laundry, clean the kitchen, and load some new movies on my iPad. I then try to relax while I wait for Alison to get home from school.

10:17pm - Alison gets home from school and we talk and get ready for bed. We have time to watch an episode of Parks and Recreation to unwind before we call it a night. Days when Alison has school end up being really long days. 

Comments

Popular Posts