Miracles

Even though Eric already wrote about our scary adventure yesterday, I also wanted to write down some of my thoughts.  It was honestly the most scared I've ever been in my life. I still can't think about yesterday without crying. This Easter, I'm especially grateful to be alive, have all 10 fingers, have all 10 toes, and for the angels that were with us yesterday both seen and unseen.

We truly experienced miracles yesterday in our darkest moments. I've never done a hike with standing water where the water was warm, especially in a slot canyon that never sees the sun. I didn't know if I would be able to get through another pool of water and seeing those pools at the end was almost more than I could bear. The fact that they were somewhat warm was a huge blessing. After we got done with the Subway portion of the hike, I was so grateful for warm, dry clothes. I was able to get back to a comfortable temperature relatively quickly once I was dry. If Eric's clothes had been wet, it would have been truly miserable for him. When he pulled out his jacket and hat and they were 100% dry, it was truly a tender mercy and a miracle.


My parents almost didn't come to Zions with us. In fact, they weren't planning on coming until Friday afternoon just hours before we left. I could not have made it through yesterday without them. We finished the Subway portion of the hike at 5:20 and only had until 7:50 before the sunset with 4.5 miles left of treacherous terrain to go. We went incredibly quickly. Even with all our layers, the sun, our fast pace, and our backpacks, none of us were sweating until the final ascent to the top because we had been so cold. The last half mile was incredibly steep and our bodies had been through so much. It was all I could do to not break down. We knew my parents would be worried about us and we speculated they would be waiting for us at the top. Jake even started yelling my parents' names as soon as we started the ascent to see if they could hear us. Little did we know that they were on their way down the canyon and were also yelling our names!

When I saw my Dad I broke down. I was so happy to see my parents. I don't even know how to describe it using words. The only experience I can compare it to was when I went on Trek when I was 12 years old. There is a pioneer story from the Martin & Willie Handcart Companies where one of the pioneers relates that angels were pushing them and their handcarts alongside them. My ward re-enacted this story by having several of the leaders wear their temple clothes as we were coming up a steep hill.  The leaders, acting like angels, came and helped us push our carts up the hill.  My Dad was one of the people wearing his temple whites, and in true cowboy form, he also had a straw cowboy hat on. I don't know if I will ever forget that experience. I remember being so happy to see him and his cowboy hat. What I felt yesterday was even better than that. My parents really were our guardian angels at the end of the hike. They took us to dinner, helped us get warm, and got us a hotel room for the night. I will be forever grateful they were there to take care of us.


As I've reflected back on my feelings over the last day, I was so mad yesterday during and after the hike. I was mad at myself for making such a stupid decision. When we were walking out of the Subway after the last rappel and swim I felt entirely defeated. I didn't even want to look at the beautiful scenery. Even though Eric and Meg took some incredible pictures, I couldn't look at them until today. And even today I've started crying every time I think about our hike. However, I also feel incredibly grateful for angels, miracles, my family, and prayer. I know I offered many silent prayers yesterday during those dark moments, and I know Eric, Jake, and Meg all did too. Even though it was the hardest thing I've ever done, we made it through with divine assistance. Also, the knowledge that I've done something that hard will hopefully carry me forward in other difficult times.  And more than anything else, my family totally rocks. I don't know how we are so blessed.



Comments

Popular Posts