52 Questions in 52 Weeks: 7 of 52

What kind of hardships or tragedies did your family experience while you were growing up?

Eric - My family experienced some hardships while I was growing up. When I was young my parents got divorced. The divorce was hard for me. As a kid, I didn't really understand why my family was being split up. It took me many years to fully process and come to terms with this event. My mom did an admirable job of filling the role of both parents, but I still grew up without a father. My grandpa, my uncles, and many neighbors stepped up and were important father figures in my life. I still missed out. I didn't have a dad around to teach me how to tie a tie or how to shave. There are many little, but important things, that a dad teaches. I do think I learned a lot and that I am a better person because of this hardship. It taught me to be responsible and help out around the house at a young age. I also learned important lessons about forgiveness and patience.

During a winter shortly after the divorce the gas and water lines to our house in Sandy broke. It was going to be some time until we could get it fixed. We couldn't stay in a house with no heat or water in the middle of winter. Our little family moved in with my grandparents. This presented new challenges. We were abruptly uprooted from our ward and neighborhood. We had to adapt to new schedules and routines. While it was a challenging experience it ended up being a huge blessing because we got to spend a lot of extra time with my grandma Pat. It wasn't long after we lived with her that she found out she had cancer and passed away.

There were times growing up when my family struggled to make ends meet. I can remember times we were struggling when friends, family, or ward members anonymously dropped off groceries and other things we needed. It was probably a really simple thing for them to do, but it made a big impression on me.

Another very trying experience was when my grandma Pat died. I wrote about her death in my response to the previous question. My family lost such a source of love, understanding, and faith at a time when we needed it most. I was particularly devastated. I loved my grandma Pat. While it has been hard to not have her here there have been many times in my life that I have felt her presence and I know she was watching over me. While we lost one source of love and kindness my family gained another. My grandpa married my Grandma Sue. She has been a source of love and joy in our lives.

Alison - My childhood was amazing. That doesn't mean that I didn't have challenges. Heaven knows I had more than a million fights with my siblings and parents. However, all things considered, I always knew that my parents and my siblings loved me. I always had a roof over my head, food on the table, and a lot of amazing opportunities to travel and see the country and the world. My parents spoiled me with piano lessons and dance lessons. They supported me in my choices and decisions growing up. I really don't have an answer to this question... 

Comments

Popular Posts