A Few Goals for 2018

With the start of a new year, I have taken some time over the past week to reflect on the past year and consider the goals that I would like to accomplish in the coming year. It has taken me a little longer to gather my thoughts and write down the goals that I would have liked. I came down with the most terrible cold right at the start of 2018 and I can't seem to beat it. It keeps lingering on. 

I have had some time to think and I came up with a few important achievements I would like to accomplish during 2018. These achievements relate to three areas: travel, health, and home. 

1. Travel:

This year Alison and I have a goal of taking two international trips. We want to visit China and Europe. This goal is part of a larger goal. We decided in the last year that we want to make traveling internationally a priority. As we have discussed this goal we set two longer-term goals. One is to visit all of the locations in Soarin' around the World. Alison and I are admittedly big Disney fans and when we first experiences Soarin' around the World we were blown away. The sites you see in this experience include:

Matterhorn in Switzerland
Isfjord, Greenland
Sydney Harbour in Sydney, Australia
Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany
Kilimanjaro National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
The Great Wall of China in China
The Great Pyramids in Egypt
Taj Mahal in Uttar Pradesh, India
West and East Mitten Buttes in Monument Valley, United States
Lau Islands, Fiji
Iguazu Falls, Argentina
Eiffel Tower in Paris, France
A Disney Park

We have also talked about visiting the 7 wonders of the modern world:

1. Chichen Itza, Mexico - Mayan City
2. Christ Redeemer, Brazil - Large Statue
3. The Great Wall, China
4. Machu Picchu, Peru
5. Petra, Jordan - Ancient City
6. The Roman Colosseum, Italy
7. The Taj Mahal, India

Both of these goals developed as we contemplated our trip to the Middle East. On that trip, we saw the great pyramids in Egypt (the last surviving wonder of the ancient world) and Petra. Both of these sites were incredible and excited us to see the world. Now seeing all of these things may well take a decade or more, but this year we want to start by visiting a couple of new places and seeing some incredible sites.

#Soarin' around the World
#7 Wonders of the Modern World
Along with traveling to these places (China and Europe), I have set a goal to listen to 3 books and watch 3 movies about each of the places we plan to visit. I find that learning about the culture and history of the areas we travel to will greatly enhance the experience. 

2. Health:

I have a few simple health goals - lose 10 pounds, begin running again, and eat less meat and more vegetables. 

The goal to lose 10 pounds is pretty self-explanatory. I plan to lose weight by focusing on healthy eating. Alison is doing a program and so by extension, I am basically doing a similar healthy eating program (we eat most of our meals together). I also plan to cut down on snacks and sweets. 

I used to run consistently. I got to the point that it was easy to run 3 miles at a pace of under 10 minutes a mile without significant strain. I stopped running and at this point, it would be pretty painful to run 3 miles at a pace of under 10 minutes per mile. I want to run consistently enough that running 3 miles becomes easier. 

I feel like my diet is a little out of wack. I eat much more meat and cheese than I really should. My goal is to balance my meals by limiting meat to at most 1/3 of each meal. I would also like to eat more fruits and vegetables. 

3. Home:

My goal for our home is to start finishing our basement by the end of the year. We have a financial plan that will make this possible. I don't plan to do the work myself - I don't have the time or experience necessary, but I do want to be very involved in planning, designing, and monitoring the progress. There is a lot of work that will need to be done - selecting a contractor, designing the space, etc. to complete this goal. 

2018 should be a great year. I am hopeful that I can accomplish these goals. I think if I could do all of the things on this list I would consider the year a success. 

Comments

Popular Posts