International Women's Day

Today is international women’s day. The internet is full of stories, statistics, and hashtags celebrating women and pointing out the inequality women face on a daily basis. I wanted to take a moment on this day to celebrate Alison, the woman who inspires me, and the qualities she has that make the world a better place. 

1. Hard work - Alison believes in working hard. From the time she was young she was taught that Nielsons work hard. It is part of her identity. This trait has served her well as she has built her career. Alison has worked for the same company, Dealertrack, for over 10 years now. She started working there during high school and continued working part-time while she completed her undergraduate degree. After she graduated she took a full-time position with the Company. Soon she had the opportunity to move into the implementation department. It was a difficult decision because it meant she would travel full-time. She took her position and flourished. She has built a successful career doing what she loves. She does not travel full-time anymore, but the travel comes and goes. She has earned the respect of her co-workers and has made many friends along the way. She spent two of the 10 years she has worked for Dealertrack working full-time and completing an MBA. She went to school almost every Tuesday and Thursday night for two years. Graduate school is already grueling. Working full-time and going to graduate school was extremely challenging. I watched as she not only succeeded at work but as she fulfilled her educational goals as well. It required a lot of really hard work. I am incredibly proud of all Alison has accomplished. I am sure she will have many great opportunities and achievements yet to come.

2. Passion – Anyone who knows Alison recognizes that she is a very passionate person. She believes strongly in her convictions and is unafraid to speak her mind. It is something that I love about her. She is fierce and willing to fight for the people and principles that she believes in. Sometimes this is evident in conspicuous and public ways, but it is also manifest in more subtle situations. Blake, Debbie, and I had the privilege of traveling to Jerusalem with Alison. She had the opportunity to live at the BYU Jerusalem Center for a semester during her time at BYU. She has a deep love for Jerusalem – for the city, the people, and especially for the BYU Jerusalem center. The love she had was evident in her countenance and the quiet reverence she had for the center. Alison is very good at holding onto the things she loves. She also has the gift of being able to clearly see what she wants and the ability to prioritize those things in her life.

3. Compassion – Alison is a very loving person. She makes friends easily. She often expresses her love for others through simple yet meaningful words and deeds. When she sees another in need she is quick to give. She is fiercely loyal to her family. Alison more than anyone else that I personally know believes in equality. She respects everyone regardless of race, orientation, belief, gender, or anything else. She accepts people for who they are and embraces their individuality. I have learned much from watching her advocate for those who society has marginalized.

These are just a few of the myriad reasons I love and admire Alison. I am very grateful that she has chosen to share her life with me. She is the love of my life, my favorite travel companion, my best friend, and above all my partner in life. I think it is appropriate to end this post with a quote from one of her favorite authors:


“I hope you find true meaning, contentment, and passion in your life. I hope you navigate the difficult times and come out with greater strength and resolve. I hope you find whatever balance you seek with your eyes wide open. And I hope that you - yes, you - have the ambition to lean into your career and run the world. Because the world needs you to change it.”
― Sheryl Sandberg, Lean In Women, Work, and the Will to Lead

Comments

Popular Posts