A Different Kind of Labor Day

Normally, Alison and I head out on a getaway over labor day. We have visited Bryce and Zion's on past labor days and had great adventures. This year was different. We stayed closer home.

I had Friday off and used it to get a few things done that needed doing. I got my hair cut and mowed the grass. I also had a little bit of work that I needed to get caught upon. On Friday night we decided to buy a new bedroom set. We have wanted to get a new bed and dresser since we moved into our new house and it was finally in the budget. We drove over to RC Willey and it took us about five minutes to find the one we wanted (we have been researching bedroom sets for a few months now). It was even on sale. We ordered it - the only bummer is that it might be a couple of weeks before everything arrives.

On Saturday morning we had a few friends over for breakfast. I have been listening to my favorite book, Lonesome Dove, since mid-July. It is the best book. Whenever I read it I get a hankering for sourdough biscuits. A couple of weeks ago I began a sourdough start and fed it every day for two weeks. For breakfast, I made sourdough biscuits and homemade gravy. I tried a new biscuit recipe, which was okay, and a new gravy recipe that was amazing. It was fun to have some friends over for breakfast and to catch up. 

We headed up American Fork Canyon on Sunday. We drove up with Blake and Debbie. We found a flat and set up camp. Throughout the day we were joined by Kristin, Dan, Skylee, Jake, Meg, Aleene, and Hollyn. We were also joined by all the family dogs - Blu, Tex, Pancho, Rowley, Romo, and Misty. The dogs had a ton of fun running through the woods all around the camp. It was Tex's first camping trip and he couldn't have been happier. 









We played chronology, visited, and ate sloppy Joes for dinner. Then when it got dark we built a fire and had campfire karaoke. It was fun to sit around the fire singing all kinds of songs.


After singing we called it a night. Tex did so well. We had him sleep in his crate and he slept just as well as if we had been at home.

The next morning we got up and made an amazing breakfast. I made sourdough biscuits in the dutch oven. This batch was great. I also made some really good gravy to go with the biscuits. We rounded out the meal with potatoes, eggs, and bacon. Alison's uncle Charlie joined us for breakfast and told us all about his adventures at Sturgis.





After breakfast, we broke camp and headed home. It was a pretty simple weekend, but it was still a lot of fun.

Comments

Popular Posts