A Surprise Goal for 2018

I love to read. For as long as I can remember, I have enjoyed reading. There are few things in life I find as satisfying as reading a good book. For a few years, both the quantity and quality of my reading were lacking. Between work and school and other pursuits, I found I did not choose to spend time reading. A couple of years ago, I decided to try Audible. This has transformed the way I read. I discovered I love audiobooks. This in turn rekindled my love of reading. They allow me to read while I am commuting to work or working on other things. Thanks go Audible I once again consider myself an avid reader.

This year I was devouring books. I read more than I have in any recent year. During the middle of the year, I decided to count how many books I had finished. I realized I was nearly on pace to read 52 books this year. I decided to set a goal to read 52 books this year. At the time, it felt like an ambitious goal. It ended up being not nearly as ambitious as I thought. I crushed it. I easily surpassed 52 books, ending the year with 66 books read:

1. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counter-intuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
2. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
3. The Fall and Rise of China by Professor Richard Baum
4. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
5. China Road by Rob Gifford
6. In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan
7. The Jungle Book: The Mowgli Stories by Rudyard Kipling
8. Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth, and Faith in the New China by Evan Osnos
9. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
10. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
11. Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
12. The Guise of Another by Allen Eskens
13. The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien
14. Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of An Empire by Simon Baker
15. Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
16. Stinker Lets Loose by Mike Sacks
17. City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas by Roger Crowley
18. The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall by Christopher Hibbert
19. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert
20. Great Masters: Mozart - His Life and Music by Professor Robert Greenberg
21. Set for Life: Dominate Life, Money and the American Dream by Scott Trench
22. The Sound of Music Story: How a Beguiling Young Novice, a Handsome Austrian Captain, and Ten Singing Von Trapp Children Inspired the Most Beloved Film of All Time by Tom Santopietro
23. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
24. Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard
25. A Tramp Abroad by Mark Twain
26. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
27. The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
28. How to Lose a Marthon: A Starter's Guide to Finishing in 26.2 Chapters by Joel A. Cohen
29. Ruins of War by John A. Connell
30. A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
31. Eiffel's Tower: And the World's Fair where Buffalo Bill Beguiled Paris, the Artists Quarreled, and Thomas Edison Became a Count by Jill Jonnes
32. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
33. Wonder by R.J. Palacio
34. American Pharoah: The Untold Story of the Triple Crown Winner's Legendary Rise by Joe Drape
35. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
36. Room by Emma Donoghue
37. Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown
38. A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle
39. Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
40. Unmasked: A Memoir by Andrew Lloyd Webber
41. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
42. Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard
43. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
44. Bear Town by Fredrik Backman
45. Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jeremy McCarter
46. Think Like a Freak by Stephen J. Dubner, Steven Levitt
47. Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brené Brown
48. Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Scott
49. Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris
50. When to Rob a Bank: ...And 131 More Warped Suggestions and Well-Intended Rants by Stephen J. Dubner, Steven Levitt
51. Us Against You by Fredrik Backman
52. This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel
53. Killing the SS: The Hunt for the Worst War Criminals in History by Bill O'Reilly, Martin Dugard
54. Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling by Richard Lyman Bushman
55. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
56. Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Stephen J. Dubner, Steven Levitt
57. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand
58. The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
59. MILKSHAKES ON THE FIRM!!! by N. Earl Davidson
60. Endure: Mind, Body, and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance by Alex Hutchinson
61. Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
62. Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes
63. A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
64. Bossypants by Tina Fey
65. Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Amy Wallace, Edwin Catmull
66. T Is for Transformation: Unleash the 7 Superpowers to Help You Dig Deeper, Feel Stronger, and Live Your Best Life by Shaun T

These books cover a wide spectrum of genres and deal with a wide variety of topics. I read some books to enhance our international travel experiences. Other books I read for fun. Many books I read were recommended by friends, family, and co-workers. I really enjoyed most of these books, although there were a few duds. I really do not have the time or energy to review or discuss each of these books in any meaningful level of detail. Instead, I thought I would share quotes from a few favorite books I read this year and explain why these quotes were meaningful to me:


1. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

This is my all-time favorite book. I love it so much that this is the third year in a row I have read it. When I read this book, I can vividly picture the adventures of the Hat Creek outfit. I become totally engrossed in the story. There are so many captivating scenes. As I am reading, I find myself looking forward with rapt anticipation to my favorite moments. This book also contains my favorite literary character, Augustus McCrae. He is simultaneously down to earth and larger than life, and he has wit and wisdom to spare.

My favorite moments from this book are much too long for me to include here. After much thought, I chose 2 quotes that think capture a little bit of the essence of Woodrow Call and Augustus McCrae:

“It ain’t dying I’m talking about, it’s living. I doubt it matters where you die, but it matters where you live.” ~ spoken by Augustus McCrae”
―  Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

“Live through it," Call said. "That's all we can do.”
―  Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

Why I chose these quotes:

I think these two quotes speak volumes about the two protagonists. Throughout the story, they act as foils to each other. Call is more practical, focused, and disciplined. Augustus considers himself a philosopher who enjoys the finer things in life. Call is the pragmatist and Augustus is the dreamer. To Call life is a chore. To Augustus life is an adventure.
There is another great moment where Call says something to Augustus about how fun was never part of the deal and August responds with, “What are you talkin' about? You don't even like money. You like money even less than you like fun if that's possible.” I chose these quotes because they succinctly summarize the personalities of these two men. I really love everything about this book. I will probably read it again next year too.


2. In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

I purchased this book over a year before I got around to reading it. It was on sale at Audible and something about it caught my eye. It sat in my library until I found myself between books. It is interesting how sometimes the timing of events can be so fortuitous. I could not have read this book at a more perfect time. Alison and I were changing our eating habits and the lessons in this book reinforced the choices we were beginning to make. I was so impressed with this book that I recommended it to Alison and she read it as well.

I picked 3 quotes that I feel sum up some of the most significant ideas I took from this book:

 “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
―  Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

Why I chose this quote:

This quote, in the simplest terms, is the thesis of this book. Eat food, we are talking real, wholesome food, but do not eat too much. Then focus on plants. I remember eating dinner at a friend’s house. His father shared the following rule of thumb. When dishing up a plate have, at least, twice as many vegetables and fruits on the plate as meat. At the time, I thought there was no way this would work for me. I love to eat meat and made sure it was the primary food on my plate. It took a journey of multiple years of experimenting with nutrition and food to realize the power of this simple advice. Now at nearly every meal my plant-based food (fruits and vegetables) far exceeds whatever meat I might be eating. I have never felt better or enjoyed my food more.

“While it is true that many people simply can't afford to pay more for food, either in money or time or both, many more of us can. After all, just in the last decade or two we've somehow found the time in the day to spend several hours on the internet and the money in the budget not only to pay for broadband service but to cover a second phone bill and a new monthly bill for television, formerly free. For the majority of Americans, spending more for better food is less a matter of ability than a priority.”
―  Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

Why I chose this quote:

This instantly rang true. I remember listening to this quote and thinking it articulates an idea that I have observed many times. Eating healthy food is more expensive than eating less healthy food products. Eating healthy food takes more time (both in planning and preparation) than eating less healthy food products. It is easy to allow both the increased cost and extra time to be an excuse. In the end, it all boils down to priority (see Essentialism below). The question is not, whether a person can eat healthily, the question is: what are they willing to sacrifice to eat real, healthy food consistently. Anyone can choose to make good choices regarding food, but the reality is that many people allow the cost and time required to be excused.

“He showed the words “chocolate cake” to a group of Americans and recorded their word associations. “Guilt” was the top response. If that strikes you as unexceptional, consider the response of French eaters to the same prompt: “celebration.”
―  Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

Why I chose this quote:

This quote speaks to the unhealthy relationship many Americans have with food. I have personally struggled with an unhealthy relationship with food. I have a really hard time not cleaning my plate. Whether I am hungry or not I do not like to leave food on my plate. Often at restaurants, I do not like to get a to-go box. Instead, I try to force the food down, even when I am not hungry. I also have a hard time snacking. If snacks, particularly unhealthy snacks (i.e. chips or candy) are available I eat them almost compulsively. I have worked on these behaviors and I am getting better, but they can still be a challenge. This year Alison and I adopted a new approach to eating food. We plan our meals out in detail 90-95% of the time. We do not buy snacks. We eat wholesome, real food. It is a balanced diet and it tastes good. We have found that we enjoy cooking and we enjoy the food we eat more than at any other time in our lives. It is not a diet – it is a lifestyle and it is a lifestyle that we truly enjoy and can sustain indefinitely.


3. Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow

When Alison and I bought tickets in January to see Hamilton on Broadway for my birthday I added this book to my list. I am so glad I did. It is exceptional. Not only did it enhance my experience at Hamilton, but it also gave me a depth of knowledge on the founding of this country that I never had before. I very much enjoy learning about the revolutionary war and the founding of this nation, but I did not realize how instrumental and influential Alexander Hamilton was in founding the United States of America. His story is very inspiring.

I chose 2 quotes from this book:

“Americans often wonder how this moment could have spawned such extraordinary men as Hamilton and Madison. Part of the answer is that the Revolution produced an insatiable need for thinkers who could generate ideas and wordsmiths who could lucidly expound them. The immediate utility of ideas was an incalculable tonic for the founding generation. The fate of the democratic experiment depended upon political intellectuals who might have been marginalized at other periods.”
―  Ron Chernow, Alexander Hamilton

Why I chose this quote:

While Hamilton was a once-in-a-generation talent, he was also born at the correct time to change the course of history. Malcolm Gladwell teaches this concept in his book Outliers, timing is often as important as any other factor in shaping a person’s success in life. What if there was no hurricane while Hamilton was a youth, inspiring donors to fund his journey to New York? Or what if James Madison had not been around to craft the constitution that Hamilton became famous for defending? While these men shaped the events that lead to the founding of the United States of America, these events also created these men. Unfortunately, I think too often the events of our day create leaders who profit from stoking divisiveness and fear. I watch as our society becomes obsessed with tearing down the other side and I worry about what the future holds. I wonder if these events also create a need for leaders who will inspire our society to hope for a better world. I know I would embrace that type of leader.

“Of all the founders, Hamilton probably had the gravest doubts about the wisdom of the masses and wanted elected leaders who would guide them. This was the great paradox of his career: his optimistic view of America’s potential coexisted with an essentially pessimistic view of human nature. His faith in Americans never quite matched his faith in America itself. It”
―  Ron Chernow, Alexander Hamilton

Why I chose this quote:

I thought this quote is insightful. A driving principle behind Hamilton’s philosophy was to create systems that would give America the best chance at survival. This was the basis of the financial system he crafted. While he was not always right, he developed political systems that impact our lives today. I found Hamilton to be such an interesting individual because he was by no means perfect. He made some pretty significant mistakes in his political career and his personal life, but he was always devoted to the systems and ideas that he believed in. He was one of those individuals that placed his ideals above everything else, sometimes to his own detriment.


4. Wonder by R.J Palacio

I absolutely adore this book. It is excellent. The movie based on this book is equally excellent. I chose to read this book after Alison and I watched the movie and I was deeply touched by the message of the story. The lessons this story teaches about kindness, friendship, and human decency are on point. I chose two quotes that capture these important lessons:

“MR. BROWNE'S SEPTEMBER PRECEPT:
WHEN GIVEN THE CHOICE BETWEEN BEING
RIGHT OR BEING KIND, CHOOSE KIND.”
―  R. J. Palacio, Wonder

Why I chose this quote:

I love this quote. I think this is so true. This is quite possibly my favorite quote from this entire year. It is so simple and straightforward; however, the principle it teaches is so often overlooked. If more often, each of us would commit to choosing kindness over being right, think of how much happier this world would be. Our world would become a much better place to live. One day when I am a father, I hope that if there is one lesson that I can teach my children that it is this precept.

“If every person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you will try to act a little kinder than is necessary - the world really would be a better place. And if you do this, if you act just a little kinder than is necessary, someone else, somewhere, someday, may recognize in you, in every single one of you, the face of God.”
―  R.J. Palacio, Wonder

Why I chose this quote:

Looking back over the books I read this year and the quotes that I chose that there are some clear patterns. One of these patterns is the connection between kindness/love and spirituality/God. This year has been an interesting one for me from a spiritual perspective. I have spent time contemplating questions/concerns I have with the stance the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has taken on a few issues. I have begun to think this year the most important thing I can do is to love my fellow human beings, unconditionally. It is within this pure, unconditional love that I strengthen my relationship with God. Too often the policy of the Church has created division and sought to strengthen existing power structures. There needs to be more focus on loving every human being because we are all children of God. We ought to be creating a culture of inclusiveness and giving everyone a seat at the table.


5. Beartown by Fredrik Backman

This is my favorite book I read this year. It is an incredibly powerful book and it is very timely. I chose to read this book because both Kristin and Alison highly recommended it. It was so good that I could not stop listening to it. I finished it in two days. There are times the book made me mad and other times it made me sad, but more often it made me think. It made me think deeply about the #metoo movement and why victims need to be given a chance to tell their stories. It made me think about how well-meaning people can behave in abhorrent ways and find ways to justify that behavior. It made me think about how we strip people of their identities when we want to hate them because this makes hating easier. Most of all Beartown made me feel rage against the injustice in the world, it made me feel sorrow for the victims of trauma, and it made me want to be a better person.

“She is told all the things she shouldn’t have done: She shouldn’t have waited so long before going to the police. She shouldn’t have gotten rid of the clothes she was wearing. Shouldn’t have showered. Shouldn’t have drunk alcohol. Shouldn’t have put herself in that situation. Shouldn’t have gone into the room, up the stairs, given him the impression. If only she hadn’t existed, then none of this would have happened, why didn’t she think of that?
―  Fredrik Backman, Beartown

Why I chose this quote:

This quote breaks my heart. I am sad we live in a world where victims of harassment and abuse are too often dismissed, blamed, and/or persecuted for telling their stories. Why is so much responsibility for the abuse placed on the victim, rather than the perpetrator? Why is the stigma born by the victim, while often the perpetrator is cleared or, sometimes, celebrated? I am deeply saddened that we live in a world where the perpetrators of harassment and abuse are all too often given a pass because of their position, fame, and/or gender. It is truly heartbreaking that we live in a world where a man who openly brags about harassing and exploiting women is elected to the highest office in the land. Is it any wonder that victims are hesitant to tell their stories? Or that sexual violence and exploitation are so prevalent? The blaming and shaming of victims need to stop. There must be real consequences for the perpetrators of harassment and violence. Sexual harassment and assault are systemic issues in our society. The deck is stacked against the victims – it silences them. The #metoo movement is important because it empowers individuals to tell their stories. It breaks the silence. Every individual needs to stand up to every example of abuse and exploitation. It is only when excuses (boys will be boys, locker room talk, it was a long time go…the list goes on and on) become unacceptable that society will begin to change.


6. Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown

This book was recommended to me by Alison’s brother Jake. I enjoyed this book because I felt like the author gives advice on how to achieve more by doing less. The writing is clear and weaves facts and studies with practical examples. I finished reading this book with a list of applications I am trying to implement in my life.

“We can either make our choices deliberately or allow other people’s agendas to control our lives.”
―  Greg McKeown, Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less

Why I chose this quote:

This quote changed my behavior. When I heard this statement, I realized there are too many times in my life when I do not make deliberate choices or assert my desire and, as a result, I give away my choice. Since reading this book I make a conscious effort to make my agenda clear. This has helped me to achieve the things that are important to me. I have found that I am happier and I accomplish more than I did before. I also find myself sharing this principle with friends and coworkers.

“Essentialism is not about how to get more things done; it’s about how to get the right things done. It doesn’t mean just doing less for the sake of less either. It is about making the wisest possible investment of your time and energy to operate at our highest point of contribution by doing only what is essential.”
―  Greg McKeown, Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less

Why I chose this quote:

This quote encompasses the core principle of essentialism. It sums it up succinctly in a few lines. The point of essentialism is about focusing time and energy on what is truly important. I tend to want to do more, even when it does not make logical sense. I add things to my routine and then continue with those items because they are part of what I do. This book inspired me to question my routine. I spend more time evaluating what is truly important. This investment of time pays off in greater time savings because I can eliminate the things that are not truly essential.


7. Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone by Brené Brown

I honestly do not know how this book ended up on my list. A few members of my family have read other books by Brené Brown, but I cannot specifically remember what inspired me to add it to my list. Regardless of why I read the book, I found it to be very insightful. As you will see from the quotes I chose from this book, Brené Brown’s thoughts on spirituality and rhetoric resonated with me.

“Spirituality is recognizing and celebrating that we are all inextricably connected to each other by a power greater than all of us and that our connection to that power and to one another is grounded in love and compassion. Practicing spirituality brings a sense of perspective, meaning, and purpose to our lives.”
―  Brené Brown, Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone

Why I chose this quote:

When I first read this quote it resonated with me. It can be easy to mistake liturgy and a checklist of behaviors for spirituality. Spirituality is not going through the motions of prayer or study or contemplation, those are all tools that help us tap into the spiritual. In its most basic and fundamental state spirituality is about connection. Both the connection between ourselves and the divine and the connection between human beings. I think too often we restrict connection, and thus our spirituality. I find this principle taught plainly by Jesus Christ, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. ... And the second is like, unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.” There are no qualifiers or conditions, simply the commandment to love and to connect.

“Here’s what I believe: 1. If you are offended or hurt when you hear Hillary Clinton or Maxine Waters called bitch, whore, or the c-word, you should be equally offended and hurt when you hear those same words used to describe Ivanka Trump, Kellyanne Conway, or Theresa May. 2. If you felt belittled when Hillary Clinton called Trump supporters “a basket of deplorables” then you should have felt equally concerned when Eric Trump said, “Democrats aren’t even human.” 3. When the president of the United States calls women dogs or talks about grabbing pussy, we should get chills down our spine and resistance flowing through our veins. When people call the president of the United States a pig, we should reject that language regardless of our politics and demand discourse that doesn’t make people subhuman. 4. When we hear people referred to as animals or aliens, we should immediately wonder, “Is this an attempt to reduce someone’s humanity so we can get away with hurting them or denying them basic human rights?” 5. If you’re offended by a meme of Trump Photoshopped to look like Hitler, then you shouldn’t have Obama Photoshopped to look like the Joker on your Facebook feed. There is a line. It’s etched from dignity. And raging, fearful people from the right and left are crossing it at unprecedented rates every single day. We must never tolerate dehumanization—the primary instrument of violence that has been used in every genocide recorded throughout history.”
―  Brené Brown, Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone

Why I chose this quote:

This idea is so powerful. It gets at the heart of one of the greatest issues facing the world today – dehumanizing rhetoric. It is easy to believe what we say does not really matter, but I believe that it does, and I believe it with every fiber of my being. I remember a little over a year ago, walking through the halls of Yad Vashem. In the first few rooms are depictions of the rhetoric used to justify the slaughter of millions of people. This rhetoric was broadcast through radio, newspapers, political speeches, and even children’s books. All of it dehumanized the Jewish people and made it easier for individuals, to allow their Jewish neighbors or friends to be treated inhumanly and killed. I see shades of this type of rhetoric in our society today. It honestly terrifies me. What terrifies me, even more, is that too many of my friends and family do not seem to see a problem with this rhetoric. People who would otherwise consider themselves upstanding members of society will debase other human beings without batting an eye. Or they are willing to overlook the unconscionable words and deeds of a government leader because they like the policies the leader supports. There is no acceptable justification for this type of language, period.

There was recently a series of photos and stories posted by Humans of New York. This series took place in Rwanda and told stories of the genocide. I clearly remember learning about the genocide when I was in High School and being horrified by the violence and atrocities that were committed. As I read this story, I thought about the rhetoric that encouraged one person to turn against another. It started small, with messages like your neighbor is different than you, your neighbor has wronged you, or your neighbor is responsible for the problems in this nation. Then the message grew into you can do something, you can act, you can kill your neighbor. These types of messages were literally broadcast over the radio. The lessons of history repeat themselves – the dehumanization of human beings enables the worst types of violence.

One story in this series stood out to me because it highlights the fact that the opposite is also true – teaching people to care about other human beings and to treat each other with dignity can, very literally, save lives. This story was of one lady who was taught by her parents, “Humanity first. Everything else comes after.” She and her parents took into their homes, at great personal risk, seven other human beings. They cared for these people and ultimately saved their lives. Because these parents valued love and humanity and taught this lesson to their children the world was a better place. I cannot stop the onslaught of dehumanizing language, but I can commit to not using that type of language. I can also commit to calling out that language in every form and putting humanity first.


8. Us Against You by Fredrik Backman

This is the sequel to Beartown. I loved Beartown so much that I was excited about the next installment. While this book started off more slowly, it ended up being as good as Beartown. It also dealt with issues that are timely and was a thought-provoking story. I have chosen quotes below that capture some of the themes I contemplated while reading this book. I am really hoping that Fredrik Backman writes the third novel.

“He’s twelve years old, and this summer he learns that people will always choose a simple lie over a complicated truth because the lie has one unbeatable advantage: the truth always has to stick to what actually happened, whereas the lie just has to be easy to believe.”
― Fredrik Backman, Us Against You

Why I chose this quote:

This quote seems to aptly apply to our society today. So many issues are complicated, and yet they get boiled down to easy-to-swallow slogans or headlines. It is so much easier to make an issue black and white than to acknowledge the infinite myriad of gray. I think the complexity of the truth leads people to believe what they are told, rather than seek out the truth. We live in a world of memes and tweets that are often passed on, because they look believable, by people who rarely take the time to investigate the truth of the message. All because it is easier than seeking the truth.

“The truth about most people is as simple as it is unbearable: we rarely want what is best for everyone; we mostly want what’s best for ourselves.” 
― Fredrik Backman, Us Against You

Why I chose this quote:

I also see this attitude in society. We want cheap housing, but we don’t want our house prices to fall. Or we want people to have fair wages, but we want to pay as little as possible for goods and services. It seems like there are so many things we want as a society if someone else bears the cost. While I would like to say I am a pretty selfless person, the reality is that I focus on my self-interest in most situations. I chose this quote because I think it has more truth than I would like to admit.


9. This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel

This was a beautiful story. This is a story about parents who do their best to help their children navigate the challenges of life. In this way, the story is very universal because all parents must help their children deal with challenges. The parents in this story are far from perfect parents. They do not have all the answers and make the best choices they can with the information they have. These parents truly love their children and despite their shortcomings, they do their best for their children. I hope that one day when I have children I will be able to apply the lessons of love, understanding, and acceptance that I learned from this book.

“Such a tough life. This is not the easy way." 
"No," Penn agreed, "but I'm not sure easy is what I want for the kids anyway." 
She looked up at him. "Why the hell not?" 
"I mean if we could have everything, sure. If we can have it all, yeah. I wish them easy, successful, fun-filled lives, crowned with good friends, attentive lovers, heaps of money, intellectual stimulation, and good views out the window. I wish them eternal beauty, international travel, and smart things to watch on tv. But if I can't have everything, if I only get a few, I'm not sure easy makes my wish list." 
"Really?" 
"Easy is nice. But it's not as good as getting to be who you are or stand up for what you believe in," said Penn. "Easy is nice. But I wonder how often it leads to fulfilling work or partnership or being." 
"Easy probably rules out having children," Rosie admitted. 
"Having children, helping people, making art, inventing anything, leading the way, tackling the world's problems, overcoming your own. I don't know. Not much of what I value in our lives is easy. But there's not much of it I'd trade for easy either, I don't think.”
― Laurie Frankel, This is How It Always Is

Why I chose this quote:

I really like this quote. I find that success in most areas has an A and a B side. The A side is the part everyone loves. It is the fun, it is the glamour, it is the prestige. Then there is also the B side. On this side people tend to ignore it is the work, it is the sacrifice, it is the difficulty. Both sides are very real and it is very difficult to separate one from the other. Yet the part that is broadcast (and admired) is the A-side. This can create the illusion that success is easy, but the reality is that it is not. The most fulfilling portions of life are not easy, but they are worth it.

“You can’t tell people what to be, I’m afraid,” said Rosie. “You can only love and support who they already are.” 
― Laurie Frankel, This is How It Always Is

“I wish for my child, for all our children, a world where they can be who they are and become their most loved, blessed appreciated selves.” 
― Laurie Frankel, This is How It Always Is

Why I chose these quotes:

I feel like this theme comes up over and over again. I keep choosing quotes around the idea of love, kindness, acceptance, and forgiveness because I truly believe it is so very important. As I read this book I found myself asking, how often do I judge the people around me? If I am honest, it happens more than it should. Why do we judge, gossip, or be mean? I think it is because we have somehow come to believe that life is a zero-sum game. That somehow I can only be successful if my neighbor, friend, or family member falters. Or that I can only be accepted in society if the people who are different from me are rejected. This could not be further from the truth. I believe the greatest happiness we can have comes from embracing the human experience. It comes from embracing all the diversity, and differences that make this world such a vibrant and beautiful place.


10. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand

I enjoyed this book more than I expected I would. I have had it on my list for over a year. A very good friend recommended it highly, while another acquaintance gave it a mediocre review. I will admit I was a little torn on whether it would be worth my time. I decided to read it because I have been working on my genealogy recently. I have spent time learning about my great-grandfather who served in the Pacific during WWII. This has piqued my interest in learning more about WWII, especially in stories that revolve around the Pacific. Additionally, Alison and I are going to visit Japan next spring with my grandparents and my aunt and uncle. This book is one of many I plan to read to prepare for our trip. This was an inspiring story of survival, perseverance, and forgiveness. I am glad I read this book.

“The paradox of vengefulness is that it makes men dependent upon those who have harmed them, believing that their release from pain will come only when they make their tormentors suffer. In seeking the Bird's death to free himself, Louie had chained himself, once again, to his tyrant. During the war, the Bird had been unwilling to let go of Louie; after the war, Louie was unable to let go of the Bird.” 
― Laura Hillenbrand, Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Why I chose this quote:

This quote says a lot about the power and importance of forgiveness. It emphasizes that a failure to really forgive and move on, often, hurts the individual as much or more than the person who harmed the individual. It shows that revenge is not as neat or fulfilling as shown on TV or in books like The Count of Monte Cristo. Often, anger and the desire for revenge drive obsession and prevent healing from occurring. This makes me think of a lesson Alison and I taught to our primary class. We told them that it is okay to feel mad or upset about something, but it is not okay to be mean or allow that anger to control their actions. Louie had every right to feel hurt and angry and he very nearly allowed those emotions to destroy his life. When he learned to cope with them in a more constructive way he found that he was free to experience the joy that life has to offer. 


11. The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown

The Boys in the Boat is the inspiring true story of the University of Washington rowing team. A team comprised of mostly low and middle-class boys who banded together to pull off one of the most improbable rowing wins ever. This story takes place against the background of fascinating geopolitical events: the great depression, the rise of Hitler, the Berlin Olympics, and the march toward WWII.

“Harmony, balance, and rhythm. They’re the three things that stay with you your whole life. Without them, civilization is out of whack. And that’s why an oarsman when he goes out in life, he can fight it, he can handle life. That’s what he gets from rowing.” 
― Daniel James Brown, The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics

“The ability to yield, to bend, to give way, to accommodate, he said, was sometimes a source of strength in men as well as in wood, so long as it was helmed by inner resolve and by principle.” 
― Daniel James Brown, The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics

Why I chose these quotes:

I read this book because it was recommended by the head of the accounting department at Ancestry. He related to us his personal experience with rowing and shared with us critical lessons he learned from reading this book. He is big on the four C's - communication, commitment, collaboration, and competence. These factors can be seen in the quotes above and are written all over the pages of this book. They are key factors in building a successful rowing team. They are also key factors in building really any type of team. While the story of the book was very engaging. I think the life lessons that it teaches are even more significant.


12. Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Amy Wallace, Edwin Catmull

This book is fantastic. It is full of meaningful analysis of the process Pixar has gone through the create a culture that values innovation and creativity. One of the aspects I really appreciated about the book is that it recognizes and celebrates the complexity that lead to their success. This book does not try to say that if every company would implement one or two principles they would find success. Rather, it explains what worked for Pixar with the idea that some of the lessons they learned can apply outside of Pixar.

“If you give a good idea to a mediocre team, they will screw it up. If you give a mediocre idea to a brilliant team, they will either fix it or throw it away and come up with something better.”
Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Amy Wallace, Edwin Catmull

“For many people, changing course is also a sign of weakness, tantamount to admitting that you don’t know what you are doing. This strikes me as particularly bizarre—personally, I think a person who can’t change his or her mind is dangerous. Steve Jobs was known for changing his mind instantly in the light of new facts, and I don’t know anyone who thought he was weak.”
-Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Amy Wallace, Edwin Catmull

Why I chose these quotes:
One of the lessons that come up again and again throughout this book is the importance of change. When success is achieved it is easy to become stagnant or to fall into the trap of being unwilling to change. This has led to the downfall of countless successful individuals and companies. Continued success does not usually come from doing the same thing over and over again, rather it comes from embracing change and continuing to move forward. This can feel very risky because it will inevitably lead to failure. This book often points out that failure is not bad as long as you can then move on, learn and continue looking for success. 

Comments

Popular Posts