The Man. The Music. The Show.


Last night we attended Hugh Jackman’s The Man. The Music. The Show. with Alison’s parents. 



Hugh Jackman dazzled as a performer appealing to all demographics. From girls' nights out to middle-aged couples to small children dancing their hearts out, it was a mixed bunch comprising an 18,300-strong sold-out Vivint Smart Home arena audience. As we waited to catch a train from City Creek to the arena we ran into a couple of older women worrying they would miss the correct train. I assured them any of the upcoming trains would get to their destination. They wanted to stick by us to avoid getting lost. When I asked if they were excited about the show. They told me Hugh Jackman is their favorite actor – they were over the moon to see him perform. 

Jackman delivered an old-fashioned, high-glamour evening of Hollywood spectacle. He managed to make the filled-to-capacity arena feel both larger than life and intimate, as he belted out hit after hit, while sharing funny, often self-deprecating, anecdotes about his life.

Here is his setlist, Hugh Jackman performing in Salt Lake City on July 11, 2019:

Set One

1. Greatest Show
2. Come Alive
3. Gaston
4. All My Way
5. I’ve Been Everywhere
6. You Will Be Found
7. Soliloquy
8. This is Me performed by Keala Settle
9. Valjean’s Soliloquy
10. I Dreamed a Dream performed by Jenna Lee James
11. One Day More

Set Two 

1. Not the Boy Next Door
2. Best That You Can Do
3. Don’t Cry Out Loud
4. I Honestly Love You
5. Quiet Please, There's a Lady on Stage
6. I Go to Rio
7. Tenterfield Saddler
8. A Million Dreams
9. Luck Be a Lady
10. Singin’ in the Rain
11. I Got Rhythm
12. Steppin' Out With My Baby. 
13. Sing Sing Sing
14. Nomad Two Worlds Aboriginal Song
15. Over the Rainbow
16. Mack the Knife
17. From Now On
18. Once Before I Go

Hugh Jackman can sing, he can dance, and he can entertain. He is a fabulous showman. He breathes life into this show by providing context for each performance. Bringing meaning to each song, even when we were not familiar with the particular selection. 

My favorite moment was Hugh’s performance of You Will Be Found from the hit musical Dear Evan Hansen. He sets the song up by sharing a particularly vulnerable moment he experienced as a child. It was an emotionally charged performance as he shared how much he wishes he could go back and wrap his arms around his 8-year-old self and say I know this was terrible, I know there is a lot going on right now you don’t understand, but this will not define you. In fact, what will define you is how many people where to be there to pick you up when you fall.  

Even when the dark comes crashing through
When you need a friend to carry you
When you're broken on the ground
You will be found

So let the sun come streaming in
'Cause you'll reach up and you'll rise again
If you only look around
You will be found (You will be found)
You will be found (You will be found)
You will be found

This moment in the performance resonated with me. As Hugh was describing his own childhood experience I saw a childhood version of myself in my mind’s eye. I could see myself also dealing with a lot in my life that I could not understand. It took a long time for me to realize that does not define me, but that I am also defined by the people in my life who have been there for me, especially when I fall. This song, in that context, really struck a chord within me. 

Another special moment was the performance of This is Me by Keala Settle.  Hugh Jackman gave her a heartfelt introduction where he described the moment she deservedly won her role in The Greatest Showman. Then she took the stage and raised the roof with her empowering and spectacular performance. Everyone in the stadium was standing during her electrifying performance. She left us wanting more of her incredible singing.  

One of the more surprising moments was when he introduced Aboriginal musicians, including tribal elder Olive Knight who join him for a stunning rendition of Over the Rainbow. These members of the indigenous community in Western Australia were given the opportunity to perform some traditional songs, in addition to signing with Jackman. Their performance is part of an effort to support the Nomad Two Worlds for Indigenous and marginalized communities organization and to promote unity and understanding in our increasingly divisive world. 

The magic of this show is Hugh Jackman’s ability to use song and dance to tap into the emotion of the audience. There were moments of drama, humor, and pure joy. It was a treat to spend the night watching this talented, charismatic man put on a great show.

Comments

Popular Posts