The Last Stand of Marshal Colclough

Marshall Frank Colclough

At Ancestry our mission is to empower journeys of personal discovery to enrich lives. That mission is a big part of the reason I love working at Ancestry. We don't believe this mission applies only to our customers, the company looks for ways to promote journeys of personal discovery among employees as well. For example, it is not uncommon for an employee to start a meeting or presentation by taking a moment to share a recent family history discovery. In fact, this is encouraged. This is one of the many ways we keep our mission top of mind. Recently I was preparing for a meeting and I wanted to find a personal family history story I could share.

I received some inspiration from my dad, Kurt. We spent time together during the last week of October. The circumstances were unfortunate. His dad, Jerry, recently passed away. Kurt flew to Utah for the funeral. While we were chatting Kurt mentioned a story about my 3rd great-grandfather, Francis Allen Colclough, AKA Marshal Frank Colclough. Kurt told me Frank died in a gunfight with two bandits in Murray. I was intrigued and spent time on Ancestry.com and Newspapers.com digging into this story. I used Ancestry.com to build out my family tree and see how I am related to Frank Colclough. Then I leveraged my subscription at Newspapers.com to find news articles about the shootout and his death. Newspapers.com has to be Ancestry's most underrated product. It contains a wealth of detailed information and stories. Some of the articles I have found on there have been incredible. 


Based on my research Frank sounds like a total badass. He was born in Scotland on February 27, 1857. He married Annie Murrin in 1879 and they had a daughter, Anna A. Colclough, who is my 2nd great-grandmother, in 1880. He immigrated to America with his wife and daughter in 1884. He became a night marshal in Murray, Utah in the early 1900s. That brings us to the story of his last stand. 

Salt Lake Telegram August 8, 1912

A saloon in Murray, Utah is the setting of this particular story. It is the night of August 7, 1912. Marshal Frank Colclough finds himself at the Vienna saloon. He is leaning over the bar discussing the recent holdup of the nearby Vincent saloon with the bartender, Paul Scherich. Frank, who was out of town on the night the Vincent saloon was robbed, is telling Paul that if he had been there "I would have got one of those fellows, or died trying." Just then two masked men enter the bar with the command, "Hands up, everybody; and keep 'em there." Marshal Colclough caught by surprise and covered by two guns, puts his hands up, along with the bartender. One of the bandits remains at the door where he can keep an eye on the bar patrons. The second bandit walks to the bar and sticks his gun into the bartenders chest snarling, "Hold 'em higher damn you." The bartender complies. The bandit then makes his way toward the end of the bar where they keep the cash register. 

As the second bandit walks toward the register, the first bandit calls out to the bartender, "Where's that damn night watchman who has been making such big talk around here lately about his bravery? I'd like to get a look at him." Marshal Colclough pulls back the lapel of his coat to show his star, "I'm the night marsh..." A bullet cuts short his sentence. The second bandit fires shooting the Marshal in the back of the head. 

The Marshal sinks to the floor. Turning as he totters, he half sits and half lays on the floor. He pulls his revolver and begins firing at his assassin. His revolver has four loaded cartridges and he empties the gun. After he falls he is shot three more times, twice by the man behind him and once more by the second bandit, who shot first. The bartender grabs a revolver and begins firing at the second bandit. The second bandit would eventually die from four gunshot wounds - two from the Marshal and two from the bartender. The first bandit would fire one final wild shot over the head of the bartender. The bandits aim was compromised by blood running over his right eye from a bullet wound inflicted by the Marshal. The bartender shoots once more at the bandit as he runs out the door. 

Marshal Colclough died doing his full duty, refusing to show any fear even when the odds were all against him. As he fell with his revolver still spitting bullets at the bandits, he dropped one of the desperados. His was a heroic effort. 

During his funeral Rev. Mr. Simpkin gave the following approbation during the eulogy:

"He died as truly a hero as did any of those who gave their lives in defense of our immortal flag. The danger to America is not now from foreign foes, for we fear none of them. But we have need to guard against the reckless, lawless element here, and much depends upon the guardians of peace. This man was but a common, humble citizen, yet by his death he is transfigured into a hero."

Sources: 
1. Salt Lake Telegram Salt Lake City, Utah Thu, Aug 08, 1912 · Page 1
2. The Salt Lake Tribune Salt Lake City, Utah 12 Aug 1912, Mon  •  Page 10 
3. The Salt Lake Tribune Salt Lake City, Utah Fri, Aug 09, 1912 · Page 2

This is a fascinating story. It is sad Frank died in this gunfight, at the hand of two bandits, but he did not go down without a fight. Frank Colclough had grit and made a heroic effort to fight the two desperados. I am grateful to for the opportunity that I have to learn his story. I am also grateful for the resources Ancestry.com provides to help me connect to my ancestors in deep, meaningful ways. Even more important I am grateful that Ancestry.com inspires me to embark on a journeys of personal discovery and to share what I find with my family, to hopefully inspire them as well. 

Comments

Popular Posts