New Year, New Goals 2021 Edition

When I sat down in January 2020 to set my goals I had no idea what the year had in store. I set ambitious goals in 2020 - many of which were not realized. Now as the calendar flips to 2021 I am trying to decide what I should do. I strongly considered not setting any goals in 2021. Instead I would see what the year brought. I thought about it more and I decided there are things I want to accomplish this year. Some of them may not be possible, depending on what happens with the pandemic. Because of the uncertainty I am going to give myself some leeway. I am going to do my best to accomplish these goals, but some may get pushed to a future, and if they do that is okay. 

I recently read a quote by Brian Tracy that resonated with me: “The rule is ‘There are no unrealistic goals; there are only unrealistic deadlines.’” I plan to stick with these goals, even if I need to adjust some deadlines. 

Goal: Travel

Goal 1: More than any other goals, our travel goals were disrupted in 2020. We planned some huge trips that had to be cancelled due to Covid-19. The good news is we were able to reschedule these trips. We are currently planning to visit Africa and South America in Q3/Q4 2021. These two trips would allow us to complete our goal to visit the 7 Wonders of the Modern World and continue our goal to visit locations from Disney's Soarin' Over the World:

Locations from Disney's Soarin' Over the World:

Matterhorn in Switzerland 2018
Isfjord, Greenland
Sydney Harbour in Sydney, Australia 2019
Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany 2018
Kilimanjaro National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania 2021
The Great Wall of China in China 2018
The Great Pyramids in Egypt 2017
Taj Mahal in Uttar Pradesh, India 2019
West and East Mitten Buttes in Monument Valley, United States 2018
Lau Islands, Fiji
Iguazu Falls, Argentina 2021
Eiffel Tower in Paris, France 2018
A Disney Park

7 Wonders of the Modern World:

1. Chichen Itza, Mexico - Mayan City 2019
2. Christ Redeemer, Brazil - Large Statue 2021
3. The Great Wall, China 2018
4. Machu Picchu, Peru 2021
5. Petra, Jordan - Ancient City 2017
6. The Roman Colosseum, Italy 2018
7. The Taj Mahal, India 2019











Goal 2: In 2021 Alison and I will celebrate 10 years of marriage. It is a significant milestone. To celebrate we have been planning a truly incredible trip. Alison saved her Hilton points and used them to book a room at the Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi. The room can be quite difficult to book, so Alison has been planning this trip since early last year. Despite the challenges of Covid, we are confident this is a trip we can safely enjoy. We have our fingers crossed and will do everything we can to make it happen. Our second travel goal for the year is to spend an incredible week in a tropical paradise. 

Goal: Running

Goal 3: This goal has been on my radar for a few years. I think I first told Alison I wanted to run the New York City marathon in 2012 or 2013. While I expressed this desire to Alison I kept it private from everyone else, mostly because I didn't want to broadcast it and then fail to fulfill this goal. Back then I wasn't serious about figuring out how make it happen. In 2019, I ran a couple of half-marathons and began to more seriously consider how to make running the NYC marathon a reality. One of the challenges to running the marathon is the timing. The marathon takes place every year on the first Sunday in November. Traveling early in the month can be difficult because of my month-end close responsibilities. In 2021, the first Sunday in November falls on the 7th, which is perfect because that is after we have closed the books. I decided to target 2021 to complete this goal. Of course the pandemic has thrown a wrench into my plans. They haven't decided how big the field will be, so it is unclear if I will be able to gain entry to the race in 2021. I am going to shoot for it and we will see if it works out. 

If 2021 does not work out, I am going to pivot and try for 2022. The race also falls late in the month next year so I should be able to make it work, if needed.

Goal: Photography

Goal 4: This year I want to focus on honing my photography skills. I feel like they have mostly been stagnant for the past year or so. I am planning to invest time in improving my abilities. I specifically want to get better at night photography and indoor photography. 

Goal 5: I also want to learn to use a more advanced photo editing software to create truly beautiful photographs. 

Goal: Professional Development

Goal 6: I love working at Ancestry. I feel fortunate to work at a great company with a top notch team. I have been in my current role for a little over 2 years. I feel very comfortable with my current responsibilities. This year I am looking to step out of my comfort zone, expand my skillset, and work toward a promotion. 

Goal: Develop a New Hobby (Learn to Ski)

Goal 7: This is another goal that has been on our radar for a few years (it has been on Alison's radar more than on mine). We live so close to some of the premier ski resorts in the world and yet I have never gone skiing before. There are a variety of reasons - cost, skills, equipment, etc. This year I am making it a priority to learn to ski. 

Comments

Popular Posts