Daybreak Island Nights
One of the things we love about living in Daybreak is the great events they put on for residents. This year they put on an event called Daybreak's Island Night Luau. They typically put on an annual luau, but Alison and I have never attended. This year we invited Kristin and her girls to come with us. It was so much fun.
Kristin and the girls came to our house for dinner before the event. Alison and I made Hawaiin haystacks. I haven't had Hawaiian haystacks for years, but I thought it would be the perfect meal to go with the luau and I was excited to introduce them to the kiddos. Alison was game as long as we didn't go with the proverbial open a can of cream of chicken soup route. So I found an actual recipe that didn't call for cream of chicken soup. It was great. Everyone enjoyed their Hawaiin haystacks - even the kiddos.
We had time between dinner and the start of the luau. That was fine because I had a new game to play with my nieces. A few weeks ago at Costco, I bought the EasyPoint Axe Throw Set. It is a fun outdoor game that involves throwing plastic axes at a target. It is kind of like a giant game of darts - with axes and throwing stars. It was hard for Anna to play because she couldn't quite throw them hard enough to stick, but Skylee and I had a blast.
As 8pm approached we walked over to the luau. We love that we live in such a central part of Daybreak. It was only a short walk from our house to the event. Before we found a seat for the entertainment we went on a hunt for dessert. Next to the luau were booths and trucks with food and such. We were hoping to find some malasadas, but they were sold out at the only place that had them. We settled for shaved ice - which Anna thought was an upgrade.
![]() |
| A Yellow-headed blackbird we saw on our walk to the event |
We found some benches and enjoyed the show. The show was a celebration of Polynesian culture. There was a variety of dances and music from many of the Polynesian Islands. Going into the show the girls were most excited for the hula dancers, but our favorite part of the show was the fire dancers. They did two separate fire dances, but the grand finale was the best. They had two fire dancers twirling and throwing their fire sticks. It was quite impressive.
We are so glad we live in such a fun place and that we get to share it with our family.






Comments
Post a Comment