My big week with Mads
Madeline and I had a big, fun week! On Sunday, we decided to attempt a family workout session. It was an epic fail, but Eric and I both managed to squeeze in some exercise—mine consisting of squats and lunges while holding our babe. Honestly, it wasn’t a bad way to spend a Sunday morning. That afternoon, we walked to Jake and Meg’s to check out their travel crib and ultimately ended up buying one for ourselves. While we were there, Meg and I swapped babies, and I loved snuggling little Goldie.
Our big outing of the week was on Tuesday when Madeline and I joined my mom, grandma, Meg, and Goldie at Nordstrom to help Grandma pick an outfit for her 85th birthday party next month. While she tried on clothes, Meg and I wandered around the cosmetics counters and shoe department before heading to Zara. That was a dangerous stop because I can already feel myself going broke buying all the adorable clothes. Madeline and I walked out with a darling knit onesie that is entirely impractical (the only buttons are on the back, so diaper changes will require a full undressing), but it’s so freaking cute. No regrets yet
After Nordstrom, we went back to my mom’s house while she picked up Skylee and Anna from school. Skylee sweetly pointed out that it was the first time all four girls had been together in the same room. It melted my heart to see how much Skylee and Anna adore their new cousins. My mom had a set of bells for Primary, and the kids were playing with them while Madeline watched so intently. Later, when Madeline got fussy, Anna told Skylee they should play the bells again to cheer her up. It was the sweetest thing.
On Wednesday, Madeline wore her darling Baby Yoda overalls that we bought back in March during our Disneyland trip. It’s so fun seeing her wear things we picked out before she was born. That afternoon, Mads and I went on a carrier walk around the island, and she did great! She fell asleep right away, and I enjoyed a cozy contact nap.
Thursday, Mads and I joined Meg and Goldie for a trip to Trader Joe’s in search of their mini gingerbread people. They weren’t in stock yet, but I grabbed a few other things, and we had fun just being together. On the drive, Mads and Goldie hilariously took turns crying—seamlessly switching off like they had it planned! Later that afternoon, I had physical therapy, and Eric had a meeting rescheduled, so Madeline got some Nana time. I dropped her off, and as soon as I was out of sight, she started crying and didn’t stop until she got a bottle and fell asleep. When I came back to pick her up, she had just woken up and was crying again—but the moment I held her, she stopped almost immediately. Knowing I’m her safest place is such an amazing feeling, but it was so hard to see her upset. It was her first time away from both me and Eric. I ended up calling Kristin afterward to make sure I’m making the right choice about sending her to childcare in January. Skylee was in the car and reassured me that she doesn’t have any lingering stress from being in childcare as a baby, which made me feel better.
Friday was another quiet day at home filled with snuggles and a carrier walk. This time, Mads stayed wide awake, taking in everything around her. On Saturday, Madeline went to her first birthday party and hated every second of it. The moment we walked in, she started crying and didn’t stop until we left. I think it was just too loud and overstimulating for her. Once we got home and she calmed down, we went grocery shopping and then visited my parents. Madeline was so content with Papa for a solid 20 minutes, which was such a great birthday gift for him. While shopping, I had Madeline in the Solly wrap, and she fell asleep. Those cozy contact naps are my favorite.
Time keeps flying with our little babe, despite our best efforts to slow it down. It’s hard to believe we’re almost through the fourth trimester—it feels like she was just born yesterday. I told Eric during her first week home that it was the best week of my life. The days can sometimes feel long, but the weeks and months pass so quickly. She’s the best thing that’s ever happened to us, and I’m determined to teach her everything I can while loving her unconditionally.
































Comments
Post a Comment