Happy St. Paddy's Day 2026

St. Patrick’s Day is so much more fun with a kid, and it feels like it’s only going to get better as Madeline becomes more aware of what’s going on. This year felt like a little preview of what’s ahead.

We kicked things off in the most important way, an outfit for the occasion. I found Madeline a green and gold dress just for St. Patrick’s Day, and she absolutely loved it. To complete the look, I added green bows and put her hair into pigtails. She finally has enough hair to actually do something with, which has opened up a whole new world. Doing her hair in the mornings has become one of my favorite little routines. I’m still learning, but I’m getting better, and I love those few extra minutes together before the day starts.



Once she was all ready, I took her to school. She walked in looking very proud of herself, and her teachers and little friends immediately noticed. It is fun to start seeing her experience those small moments of recognition, where she knows she looks special and everyone else does too.

When she got home, the real festivities began. I had corned beef going in the oven along with cabbage and soda bread, and the house started to fill with that unmistakable St. Patrick’s Day smell. While I was finishing up dinner, Nana brought Anna and Skylee over for a quick visit. They came bearing chocolate for Madeline and stayed just long enough to play for a bit before heading off to their extracurriculars. It was a quick visit, but fun and unexpected. 


Dinner ended up being a big win. The corned beef was tender, the cabbage was crisp, and the soda bread was a nice addition. This meal is becoming a St. Paddy's Day tradition.



After dinner, Kirsten and baby Ayoub came over to keep the celebration going. Alison had made a grasshopper cake for the occasion, and it was incredible, one of those desserts that was both festive and rich. Kirsten brought Khoshaf, which was such a fun addition and something new for us to try.

The babies had the best time together. They chased Tex around the house, threw balls back and forth, and spent a surprising amount of time entertained by stacker toys. At one point we even let them bounce in the bounce house, which might have been the highlight of the night for them. There is something really special about watching Madeline start to interact more with other kids, even if it mostly looks like parallel play with occasional bursts of chaos.

By the end of the night, the house was a little messier, everyone was a little more tired, and it felt like a day well spent.

It was such a fun way to celebrate, and it made me excited for what these holidays will look like in the years ahead, when Madeline starts to understand the traditions, look forward to them, and maybe even help create them.

Comments

Popular Posts