My New Hobby

Over the past two years, I have thought a lot about taking a photography class. I talked to a few family members about it and Debbie told me she wanted to take a class as well.

During school I had so much going on I never had time to pursue a new hobby. After I graduated I was busy wrapping up the CPA exam. Now that I have adjusted to working at EY I decided it was a good time to pursue photography. 

Last month I started researching cameras and potential classes. On a Saturday I told Debbie I started looking at cameras. At that point, my plan was to sign up for a class within the next month or so. That same day I found a class that looked perfect. It was digital photography 1 offered through the lifetime learning program at the U. The only drawback to the class was that it started three days after I initially found it. 

With this accelerated timeline I quickly shopped for and bought a camera. I went with a Sony A6000 based on the recommendation of a salesman. It doesn't look anything like I imagined my camera would look, but it is awesome. It does everything I wanted it to do. I also made sure Debbie was on board to start this class with me. She was up for it. She ended up getting the same camera as me so we could learn how to use them together.

The class is once a week from 6:30-9:00PM. Since the class is on Tuesday nights after it is done I can hang out on campus and then drive home with Alison. The class also included one field trip to the Red Butte Gardens where we got to explore and work on some of the concepts we have discussed in class. 

During class, we learn a lot about the different settings on our cameras and how to use those settings to create different types of pictures. We have discussed shutter speed, ISO, aperture, focus, lighting, and composition. There is so much information packed into each class. I have gotten out of it exactly what I wanted out of the class. I have learned to use the settings on my camera to create the picture I want.

Today is our last session in the class. Now that the class is over it is time for me to play around with my camera. I realized during this class that I like to use photography to capture moments in my life. I am excited to have the tools to capture those moments the way I want to remember them. 

Here are a few of my favorite photos that I took during the class:

























Comments

Popular Posts