A Cooking Experience - Crème brûlée - March 2024

 This month I learned to make Crème brûlée. I chose to make Crème brûlée because it is one of Alison's favorite desserts. It isn't too difficult. The most impactful thing I did was purchase a kitchen torch. You can try broiling it, but a kitchen torch is necessary to achieve that hard caramelized sugar top. 

I used the NYT cooking recipe. It is excellent and simple. It is a multi-step process. I make the custard earlier in the day and then let it cool in the refrigerator before caramelizing the sugar topping. I also found we like the Crème brûlée if I caramelize the topping and then put it back into the fridge for a little while before we eat it. The trickiest part of the recipe is baking the custard for long enough, but not too long. It is also a little tricky to get the sugar to caramelize without burning it too much. It is a delicate balance, but I am getting the hang of it. I may make one more batch of Crème brûlée before the month is over, but so far I feel very confident in my Crème brûlée making skills. 


Comments

Popular Posts