Last Time


This was me this morning at the airport, getting ready to hop on a plane to Birmingham for my last installation.  The feeling was definitely bittersweet, but I’m so excited for the future and the rest of my career.  As I was walking through the airport, I couldn’t help but wonder if I’m going to miss wandering through the SLC airport on a regular basis.  And I decided I probably won’t, but there are many other things that I will miss.

  • I will miss the camaraderie of being on the road with the rest of my team. 
  • I will miss meeting new people all the time and seeing life from different points of view. truly love all the places that I’ve been able to see because of the people I’ve met.
  • I will miss the team dinners and meetings at the hotel bar (where I of course only had water J).  I’ve definitely had some good times with my team.
  • I will miss working directly with clients
  • I will miss taking vacations for free with my honey!  In the last 2 years, we’ve been to some amazing places.  We have literally not paid for a night in a hotel in over 18 months, and we would not have had these opportunities without my business travel.   
  • I will miss working in places where I can do a little sight-seeing like:

    •        Chicago

    •        San Antonio


    •        New York City


    •        Albuquerque (not really that awesome, but seeing Mr. White’s house was cool)!


    •     South Dakota (Also not cool, but I can cross Mt. Rushmore off the bucket list!)

Even though I will miss all of these items, there are some other things that I will definitely not miss:
  • I will not miss flight delays and sleepless nights in a hotel.
  • I will not miss working with clients at some of the most stressful moments of their careers.
  • I will not miss data validation on Sundays when no one (including me) wants to be at work.
  • I will not miss Controller Visits.
  • I will not miss being in Wisconsin in January or St. Louis in July.
  •  I will not miss saying goodbye to my husband all the time.
  • I will not miss packing and unpacking (and sometimes I didn’t even unpack if I had a quick turn-around – whoops).
  •  I will not miss rental cars and trying to find my way around new places
Installing for DealerTrack offered some really incredible opportunities and jump-started my career in ways that I never could have imagined two years ago.  Eric and I really have been so blessed.  In my new position at DealerTrack, I will be in the office nearly all the time. There may still be some business travel, but it will be few and far between.  I will be working with the install team rather than clients and doing much more technical tasks than training clients.  I have a team of 8 wonderful people reporting to me and I’ve already loved working with each of them.  Here’s to the future. 

Comments

Popular Posts