Our Upcoming European Holiday - Part II: Austria

Books (Austria):

The Sound of Music Story: How a Beguiling Young Novice, a Handsome Austrian Captain, and Ten Singing Von Trapp Children Inspired the Most Beloved Film of All Time by Tom Santopietro (Audiobook length 11 hours 19 minutes)


Synopsis:
This book tells how the Sound of Music became the phenomenon it is today. From behind the scene stories of filming, onsite in Austria and on a sound stage in LA, to a look into the real-life story of Maria Von Trapp. This book dissects and analyzes the evolution of the real-life story into a stage play and ultimately the most successful movie musical of all time.

My Thoughts:
1. This book was much more about the creation and impact of the Sound of Music movie than it was about the background of the Sound of Music story. I love the movie so I very much enjoyed learning about the creative process that leads to a veritable cultural phenomenon. I was hoping for a little bit more of the background of the Von Trapp family and their experience in Austria.

2. This book does talk of Salzburg, both when it recounts some of the real-life exploits of Maria Von Trapp, and when it details behind the scene stories of filming. I am very excited to visit the city that inspired viewers in this amazing film. In many ways, the success of the Sound of Music movie has been attributed to the beautiful scenery. The opening where Maria belts out the hills are alive from the alpine mountains surrounding Salzburg is such a memorable movie moment.

Great Masters: Mozart - His Life and Music by Professor Robert Greenberg Ph.D. (Audiobook length 6 hours 10 minutes)


Synopsis:

Professor Greenberg provides a succinct, beautifully crafted account of Mozart’s life. He spends significant effort during the lectures to dispel popular myths that have become widely accepted such as, Mozart was autistic or that Mozart was an idiot genius with the social skills of a child. Professor Greenberg points to a plethora of evidence that indicates these myths are not true representations of Mozart. The lectures include discussions of Mozart’s relationship with his family, particularly his father, Mozart’s grand tour across Europe as a child, Mozart’s sense of humor, Mozart’s changing musical style over time, Mozart’s operas, and Mozart’s health among other topics. The lectures include diverse excerpts of Mozart’s music. The lectures were designed to give a better context for understanding, listening to, and ultimately enjoying the music of Mozart.

My Thoughts:

1. I added these lectures to my reading list because we are planning to spend some time in Salzburg, Austria. Salzburg is, in part, famous because it is the hometown of Mozart. I will be honest I knew almost nothing about Mozart, beyond the fact that he was a famous composer, before listening to these lectures. I now have a greater appreciation for his prodigious talent and the impact he had on music in his all-too-short life. I am also glad I listened to these lectures before I watched the movie, Amadeus, while I am sure this movie is great in its own right, it sounds like there is much more mythology and inaccuracy baked into the movie than I would have otherwise realized. The portrayal of events in the movie makes for a better story than if they would have stuck to reality.

2. Mozart was insanely talented, but he also dealt with terrible challenges. In his day he was not particularly popular. Mostly because his music was so complex that listeners of the day had a difficult time digesting and appreciating it. In a world where music was not readily available to be played at listened to at the drop of a hat, Mozart had a hard time gaining traction. It wasn’t until his after-death and recording devices became prominent that his popularity grew.

3. At a young age, Mozart went on tour with his father across Europe. He played for kings, queens, and nobility across the continent. They loved him because he was cute and insanely talented. As he grew, his talent increased, but his cuteness disappeared. The lecturer pointed out a key observation that stuck with me. Mozart at a young age experienced grandness, fame, and riches beyond his wildest dreams. For months he was invited with open arms into the courts of Europe. What impact must this have had on his expectations for the future? For a child to experience, what is arguable, the high point of his life at such a young age is it any wonder that Mozart struggled as an adult. He didn’t have money or fame later in life and his letters show extreme frustration with these circumstances. It is interesting to speculate the impact that tour had on his attitude later in life.

Movies (Austria):

Amadeus 
Synopsis:

Told through the eyes of a fierce rival, Antonio Salieri, Amadeus tells the story of the remarkably talented composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Where Salieri is disciplined and determined Mozart is indulgent and hedonistic. Everything in life seems to come easy to Mozart. Driven by jealousy Salieri becomes obsessed with Mozart's downfall. The consequences of this obsession are dire for both men.

My Thoughts:

1. While this movie was entertaining. After listening to the course about Mozart, I knew there was little to the conspiracy theory that Mozart was murdered. Additionally, Mozart was somewhat known for bad/crass behavior that has likely been overemphasized by people who wanted to simplify Mozart's talents and complicated persona. As the biographical lessons pointed out, Mozart was a true genius and was likely less eccentric than some of the traditionally used historical sources would make him appear. It was interesting to watch this film after having learned about the life of Mozart. I was certainly more critical of the portrayal of Mozart in the film. With this in mind, I was thoroughly entertained by the film.

2. One thing I appreciated about the movie is that it allowed me to hear more of Mozart's compositions, particularly his Operas, in small doses. I am certainly familiar with some of his music, but this film introduced me to more of his music than I would have otherwise been exposed to.

Sound of Music



Synopsis:

The Sound of Music is the story of young postulant Maria, whose free spirit has trouble fitting into the rules and regulations of her Abbey. Commissioned by Mother Abbess to serve as the governess for seven motherless children, Maria transforms the Von Trapp family home from a place of rules and regulations to one filled with joy and with music. In the process, Maria wins the hearts of all seven children--and their father, Captain Von Trapp. With Mother Abbess’ blessing, Maria follows her heart and marries the Captain. Upon returning home from their honeymoon, Maria and the Captain learn that their beloved Austria has been taken over by the Nazis, and the retired Captain is asked to report for immediate service in the Nazi Navy. When the Nazis show up at their door to take Captain Von Trapp away, it is the family's participation in a signing festival that buys the family time to make their narrow escape. Their convictions compel Maria, the Captain, and the children to flee over the mountains of Switzerland to safety.

My Thoughts:
1. I love the Sound of Music. I very much enjoyed this movie throughout my childhood. As Alison and I were watching the movie, using a digital version of the film, I pointed out the spot where when I watched the movie as a kid I would have to change VHS tapes. The music and the story are both superb. I have always, especially loved the song "My Favorite Things" because it reminds me of my grandma Pat.

2. It has been a while since I watched the Sound of Music, and as we watched this time Alison and I were especially focused on paying attention to the location. There are beautiful shots of Salzburg and the surrounding area throughout the film. We are very excited to visit this beautiful city!

Comments

Popular Posts