AF Canyon Run Against Cancer and a Baby Blessing


This past weekend I ran in the AF Canyon Run Against Cancer half-marathon. It is an incredible run - beautifully scenic, emotional, and inspiring.

I stayed at Jake and Meg’s house the night before. They live in American Fork and their house is only a few minutes from the park where the buses picked us up to take us up the canyon to the starting line. It was a smart decision. I was a little disappointed because Alison was gone all week and I would not be there to pick her up at the airport (her flight got in late). Instead, Kristin covered for me. I prepared a huge bouquet of flowers for her so she would know how much I missed her.


Jake and I woke up a little before 4am and headed to the park. We were blasting some pretty heavy music on our way over. There was a line of cars going into the park so it took longer than we thought and we were almost late. The firm Jake works for, 97th floor, is a primary sponsor of the event so they had their own bus. It was really nice because it enabled us to avoid waiting in line at 4:30 am. Our bus got us up the canyon and to the starting line at ~5 am. It was pretty cold and we were all wearing layers. I ate some steel-cut oats with strawberries and had some energize to drink. At 5:40 we had to lose our layers and send out bags of belongings down to the finish line. To stay warm we were wrapped up in space blankets and we kept moving. The race kicked off at 6 am. I began running with the first wave because I hoped I could run at an 8:30/mile pace.

Running down the canyon is great. That first ~7 miles are all downhill at a pretty good grade. This allowed me to run at a faster pace. I made it to the halfway mark at a 7:44/mile pace. This first part of the run was also so beautiful. The canyon is stunning especially this year with all of the water and the cool weather. I was surrounded by beautiful green foliage and snow-capped peaks during this portion of the run.

As I ran I saw many signs both, remembering those who lost their lives and celebrating those who survived cancer. I thought about the two women who inspired me to run - my grandma Pat and my grandma Sue. My grandma Pat lost her battle with cancer. She was the kindest, most loving person I know. I was still a young child when she died. I miss her so much. Cancer sucks. Around the halfway mark tears were streaming down as I was overcome with thoughts of how much I missed my grandma Pat. My grandma Sue survived her cancer. I am so grateful I have had the opportunity to cherish special moments spent with her these past few years. She is one of the strongest, wisest, and most fun-loving people I know. I am truly blessed to have the influence of these two great women in my life.

When you exit the canyon the course levels out quite a bit and it becomes more of a battle of attrition. Most people around me kept a good pace down the canyon, but after the canyon, many people slowed or began walking. My pace slowed a bit, but I kept running and by this point, I felt more confident I would break the 2-hour mark. My most difficult miles were around miles 9 and 10. My calves were really burning. Part of me wanted to stop and walk, but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. As I got closer to the end I began to feel stronger. The end was nearly in sight and I began to focus on finishing strong.




I ran a PR of 1:46:15. I am really proud of that accomplishment. I wanted to best my previous half-marathon time of 2:09 and I really wanted to beat the 2-hour mark. I battled some leg issues during my training where I had pain in tendons in both legs. I had to cut down quite a bit on my planned training schedule. I did not know if I did enough training or if I could do it. I crushed both of those goals. I could not be happier with my performance. I gave everything I had during the race and exceeded my personal expectations.




My performance in this race would not have been possible without a lot of support. First and foremost from Alison. She inspires me to be the best version of myself. She also works to be healthier and stronger every day, which motivates me to try and keep up. She supports me 100% and was there cheering me on as I crossed the finish line. I also have to thank my running buddy, Tex. He has walked and run countless miles with me over the past two years. His constant happiness and enthusiasm make the miles feel not quite as long. I also need to owe thanks to Blake for helping me get signed up with the 97th-floor crew and to Meg for taking pictures as I crossed the finish line.


After we finished Alison and I hung out at the finish line to cheer for Blake. When he was done we got some smoothies at the 97th-floor booth and we were going to get a french toast breakfast, but the line was way too long. We were not willing to wait. We were about to leave and get breakfast when Dan showed up with Skylee. Skylee ran in the kid's K (Alison and Dan ran with her). She was super cute and had a really fun time running. She was so excited that she had a medal that matched mine.




We went to breakfast at Jim's Family Diner after the race. Jim's is one of our favorite breakfast places. They have pretty good omelets and potatoes. It was a good place to refuel after the race.

That evening Kristin and Dan blessed Holly at their home. It was a very nice blessing. Afterward, we had a feast of turkey, Piccadilly, fruit salad, veggies, and lots of desserts. We enjoyed spending time with family and having this opportunity to celebrate little Holly. She is pretty great.





Comments

Popular Posts