New Year, New Goals 2019 Review

2019 was the best year yet. Alison and I had some incredible adventures and we accomplished much. Now during this period of reflection and renewal, I want to check in on the goals I set in the prior year:

Explore

Goal 1: Visit 5 countries we have never visited before.

We had an epic travel year. This year we visited Mexico, Japan, India, Nepal, and Australia.

This goal is part of two larger goals - to visit the 7 modern wonders of the world and the sites displayed in Disney's Soarin' Over the World. 

Locations from Disney's Soarin' Over the World:

Matterhorn in Switzerland 2018
Isfjord, Greenland
Sydney Harbour in Sydney, Australia 2019
Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany 2018
Kilimanjaro National Park and Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
The Great Wall of China in China 2018
The Great Pyramids in Egypt 2017
Taj Mahal in Uttar Pradesh, India 2019
West and East Mitten Buttes in Monument Valley, United States 2018
Lau Islands, Fiji
Iguazu Falls, Argentina
Eiffel Tower in Paris, France 2018
A Disney Park

7 Wonders of the Modern World:

1. Chichen Itza, Mexico - Mayan City 2019
2. Christ Redeemer, Brazil - Large Statue
3. The Great Wall, China 2018
4. Machu Picchu, Peru
5. Petra, Jordan - Ancient City 2017
6. The Roman Colosseum, Italy 2018
7. The Taj Mahal, India 2019












Goal 2: Visit the Grand Canyon

We quickly checked this one off the list. Last January we took a grand road trip. The Grand Canyon was spectacular.


Goal 3: Attend a Major League baseball game at a new stadium

We actually visited two major league stadiums. In April, my grandparents and I met up with Alison on one of her work trips and we went to a game at Fenway Park.


Over the summer I tagged along on another one of Alison's work trips where we caught a game at Great American Ballpark.


Adventure

Goal 1: Learn to Scuba Dive

I was so unsure about this goal, but I am so glad we followed through. We were scuba-certified early in the year. We then had the opportunity to go scuba diving in Mexico and at the Great Barrier Reef. Diving at the Great Barrier Reef was a truly unbelievable experience.



Goal 2: Hike Mount Timpanogos

We failed to reach this goal. We tried to make it happen late in the summer, but the summer got away from us. By the time we made it a priority, it was too cold and stormy. We may have to add this goal to next year's list. 

Well-being

Goal 1: 85/15 healthy food

This is a goal that is more difficult to measure, but I consider it to be a success. I ate good food this year. It tasted great, and more importantly helped me to feel great. I also ate good food that didn't make me feel as great but tasted amazing. That is part of the balance I want to have in my life. Sometimes I indulge because it is fun, but most of the time I eat food that fuels me so that I can enjoy my life to the fullest.

Goal 2: Run a half marathon in under 2 hours

I rocked this goal. I ran the AF CANYON RUN AGAINST CANCER in 1:46:19. I am so proud of my effort in this race.


Learn

Goal 1: Read 100 books

I completed this goal just in the nick of time. This was an ambitious goal that pushed me to read more than I otherwise would have. I am glad I was able to accomplish it.

Goal 2: Read books and watch movies about the countries we plan to visit

I also kept up with this goal. I read books about Mexico, Japan, India/Nepal, and Australia. Reading about the destinations we plan to visit greatly enhances my experience.

Goal 3: Find a new intriguing fact about an ancestor

I learned a few new facts about my family history this year. The completion of this goal was greatly aided by my employer, Ancestry.com. They provided me with some free memberships to research sites that assisted in the discoveries I made this year. It is a significant benefit.

I was interested in learning about family members who served during the Revolutionary War or the Civil War. As I researched, I discovered that my 3rd great-grandfather, Levi Nathan Barnes, served in the Union Army during the Civil War. He was born in Massachusetts in 1835. Later he moved to Vermont where he enlisted on March 29, 1864, to serve for three years in the 17th regiment, Vermont Infantry volunteers. He saw combat in the trenches at the Battle of Petersburg. He was discharged as a private at Alexandria, Virginia on July 14, 1865 - the war was over. After the war, he married and started a family. They settled in Boone, Iowa, not far from where my grandfather would be born many years later.

I also found some great source documents relating to my grandma Pat and my grandpa Troff. I found several newspaper articles about both of them. The first article I included below is the announcement of their plans to marry in the Springville Herald.


This second article is about a talk my grandfather gave after he returned home from his mission. He showed his slides and spoke about his experience. This article was from the Kossuth County Advance. I found lots of articles that mention little tidbits about my grandfather. I have also found several yearbooks that have pictures and information about him. These articles and yearbooks have sparked some conversations as I talk to him about his experiences.


Comments

Popular Posts