Lent


With the advent of Lent  a couple of weeks ago, Alison and I began a 44-day period where we have committed to eating only plant-based foods.

One of the reasons why we decided to make this commitment is summed up in the following question: What if one simple change could save you from chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease?

This question, which is the focus of the insightful documentary Forks Over Knives, has a simple answer. Based on excellent science, the answer is the profound claim that most, if not all, of the chronic diseases that afflict us can be prevented, controlled or even reversed by rejecting animal-based and processed foods, and instead focusing on consuming whole plant-based foods. Over the past couple of years Alison and I have begun to shift out consumption from a diet of nearly all animal-based, processed foods to a more plant-based diet. For a little more than a month we are going to shift completely to a plant-based diet.

Another reason why we decided to make this commitment is because we are more mindful of our impact on the environment. There is a significant body of research indicating animal based diets are putting a significant strain on the environment. One way we can be part of the solution is to switch to plant based eating. While we will likely not maintain a strict plant based past our 44 day commitment, I do think we will be more likely to implement more plant based options in our everyday diet.

One question we have been asked is, why lent?

Let’s summarize lent: Lent is a solemn religious observance in the Christian liturgical calendar that begins on Ash Wednesday and ends approximately six weeks later, before Easter Sunday. In Lent, many Christians commit to fasting, as well as giving up certain luxuries in order to replicate the account of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ's journey into the desert for 40 days. This is known as one's Lenten sacrifice. Lent is traditionally described as lasting for 40 days, in commemoration of the 40 days Jesus spent fasting in the desert.

The decision to make this change during Lent is really twofold. First, Alison and I initially decided we wanted to try a vegan diet last year. We were going to do it for one month, starting at the end of September 2019. However, life was a little too hectic and we did not follow through with our plan. Instead we changed our plans, we were going to start off 2020 by eating a vegan diet during January. Once again January arrived and we felt woefully unprepared so we pulled the plug. We still wanted to give it a try and we determined that Lent was as good a time as any. This time we have stayed true to our plan and are eating only plant-based foods.

Second, while Lent is not part of our religious upbringing Alison and I have both worked to develop an appreciation for the religions of the world. By participating with our own Lenten sacrifice it will, hopefully, give us a greater appreciation for the faith of Christians who participate in Lent every year. I also believe that God will appreciate the intent of this sacrifice. While Lent may not be part of the liturgy of the LDS church, I believe that these 40 days of sacrifice will bring me closer to Jesus Christ.

What do I hope I will gain from this experience:

1. I am most interested to see how my body reacts. I expect I will feel good, energized, strong and happy. I am currently training for a race and I am hopeful this will assist in my training.
2. I would like to gain some discipline. Alison and I are mindful of what we eat (sans vacation and special occasions). This mindfulness has served us well, but we started losing some of that mindfulness at the end of 2019 going into 2020. This exercise will require us to dial it in and be more mindful with our eating than we have ever been.
3. This experience is forcing Alison and I out of our comfort zones. We are eating many foods we don’t normally eat – tofu, lentils, tempeh, and a whole host of vegan ingredients. We are also using spices, seasonings, and recipes that are new or unfamiliar. This experience is providing a great learning opportunity. I am hopeful that after this experience we will incorporate new foods and recipes into our regular meal plans.

I do want to state that I don’t think we will eat a strict vegan diet after Lent has concluded. Although I would be open to doing something like this again in the future.

As we begin this journey I am sure there will be unexpected challenges and, hopefully, some surprising benefits. We will see where this journey takes us.  

Comments

Popular Posts