Fred's Team - My "Why"

For more than five years I have dreamed of running in the New York City Marathon. I did not tell anyone, except for Alison, about this dream because I was afraid it would never happen. I did not want to put it out there and then not be able to accomplish my goal. I fell into a predictable pattern. I would train for a race and while I was training my desire to run in the New York City Marathon would spike. Then later I would consider all of the effort it would take to be accepted and then train for the marathon and decide it was not worth it. I would tuck my dream away. 

I broke this pattern in 2019. I decided to find a way to make my dream a reality. I made a plan to run in the 2021 New York City Marathon. There are normally three ways to qualify for the race: 1 - achieve a qualifying time on a organized race 2 - enter the NYRR lottery 3 - join a charity team. 

My initial plan was to try all three methods with the hope that one of them would qualify me for the 2021 race. I planned to run in two half-marathons in 2020. My goal was to achieve a qualifying time in at least one of these races. Then the global pandemic changed my plans. Both half-marathons were cancelled. With the cancellations my shot to achieve a qualifying time was dashed. The pandemic also meant the lottery looked like even more of a long shot. I shifted focus to the final option - join a charity team. 

New York Road Runners selects nonprofits that are designated as official charity partners and helps them raise vital funds through runners who are looking to gain guaranteed entry to the New York City Marathon. Runners can choose a charity they are passionate about and dedicate their run to a great cause. Alison and I reviewed the list of official charity partners and found one that resonated with me - Fred's Team. 

Fred's Team is named after Fred Lebow, a co-founder of the New York City Marathon. In 1990, after he was diagnosed with brain cancer, Fred designated Memorial Sloan Kettering Institute (MSK) as the New York City Marathon's first official charity partner. In the 1991 and 1992, partnering with MSK, Fred, along with other runners in the NYC Marathon, raised money for cancer research. Fred lost his battle with cancer in 1994. A year later Fred's team was created to continue his legacy. 

100% of every dollar raised through Fred’s Team puts critical funds directly into MSK labs and clinics, making lifesaving breakthroughs possible for patients around the world.

The reason I chose to fundraise for Fred's team is because of my personal experience with the impact cancer has on the family of those who have cancer. Cancer sucks. Because of my Grandma Pat and my Grandma Sue, Fred's team's mission to "Imagine a World Without Cancer" resonates with me. 

My Grandma Pat.

My Grandma Pat was noted for her quiet kindnesses and consideration for all around her. Her heart was overflowing with unconditional love for the people around her, especially her family. When I was a kid, I went through a particularly difficult time. My parents divorced and I felt sad and lonely. My Grandma Pat was a beacon of light and love during this dark time. I do not know what I would have done without her. 

A picture of my Grandma Pat holding me.

I have beautiful memories of my Grandma Pat: 

I remember spending time with her on the day she would bake bread for the week. She would separate a special roll just for me. She would pull out colorful sprinkles and we would pour a few on top of the roll. Then when it was done baking we would sit together at the kitchen table while I enjoyed my warm roll. 

I remember playing her "Do you know what?" game. She would always reply in response to my "What?" with "I love you". I vividly remember her holding her hand out to me with the index and pinky fingers raised and the thumb extended in the American Sign Language for "I love you". She did this so often it is ingrained in my mind. 

I remember she used to like to make some kind of pudding that required us to shake the container. It might not have taken that long, but as a kid it felt like I had to shake it for forever. Now I look back and I am grateful for all the time I spent shaking pudding with my Grandma. 

I remember holding her hand while we walked along her street. At the end of the street was a stand of trees. This was my favorite spot. I imagined it was Nottingham forest. As we walked, I would tell my Grandma the fantastical stories in my head. 

I remember she loved lilac bushes. I can't look at a lilac bush today without thinking of her. 

I remember her favorite color was purple. For a while that was my favorite color too - because I missed her so much. 

My Grandma Pat lost her battle to cancer on Nov. 15, 1996. It was utterly devastating. 

There is a line in Lin-Manuel Miranda's musical Hamilton that often stands out to me. As Hamilton contemplates his impending death he asks, "Legacy, what is a legacy?" and then he answers, "It's planting seeds in a garden you never get to see." My Grandma Pat planted an abundant legacy. Her legacy is apparent in the lives of the many people she transformed with her love and kindness. I am running on Fred's team for her. This effort is part of her legacy. She may not be here physically to see me, but I know she would be proud. 

My Grandpa remarried and my Grandma Sue came into my life. My Grandma Sue is noted for her fun loving nature, her strength, her generosity, and her wisdom.

I also have great memories with my Grandma Sue. 

Every year she hosts an epic 4th of July party, including a water fight and massive firework show. 

When I was in high school, my Grandma Sue took me on my first Disneyland trip. It was the first of many magical experiences.

My Grandma Sue, my brother, me, and my sister in front of Disneyland.

When I face a difficult question or situation I can always rely on my Grandma Sue to listen and provide sage advice. 

My Grandma Sue sharing her wisdom at my wedding.

Growing up I shared my dreams for my future with my Grandma Sue. She encouraged and believed in my. Today she reminds me of those moments when we sat in her living room and talked and points out that those dreams are coming true. 

In recent years, Alison and I have traveled with my Grandma Sue. We made great memories floating in the ocean in Florida, riding roller coasters in DisneyWorld, watching a baseball game at Fenway Park, road tripping around Maine, feeding monkeys in Japan and much more. 

Floating in the ocean at St. Petes Beach.

Attending Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

Watching a baseball game at Fenway Park.

Feeding deer in Nara, Japan.

Sightseeing at Tenryuji Temple near Kyoto.

Feeding monkeys at the Monkey Park Iwatayama, Japan.

My Grandma Sue faced her own battle with cancer. I know it was hard and scary for her. It was scary for me too. I already lost one Grandma I really loved to cancer. I was terrified I would lose my Grandma Sue too. Fortunately, that did not happen. My Grandma Sue survived. I am so grateful for the skilled doctors and nurses who helped and supported her. I am grateful for the researchers who make lifesaving discoveries that give people like my Grandma Sue a chance. I am grateful she is a fighter and that she beat cancer.

I am running on Fred's team in gratitude to the medical professionals and the breakthroughs that have given me so many more years and adventures with my Grandma Sue. I want to pass it on by doing a small part to contribute to life saving research so more people will have more time with the ones they love. 

So please DONATE TODAY! 

Your support is key to helping experts at MSK discover new and improved treatment options. Together, we can make a big difference in the lives of people with cancer.

You can follow the link to my Fred's Team profile here:

Team Member: Eric Troff

Thank you!

Disclaimer: The NYRR is optimistically looking forward to holding the 2021 TCS New York City Marathon on November 7, 2021. Due to Covid they are working closely with health and safety officials from the city, state, and federal governments to determine how to stage the race. They have not set the field size yet. Based on their determination I may or may not be able to run in 2021. If I am unable to run in 2021 I will plan to run in 2022.

Comments

Popular Posts