My Madeline Joy,
From the moment I learned I was pregnant, I knew I would love you for the rest of my life. The nearly 11 months you and I have been together sometimes feels like a lifetime, and sometimes feels like the blink of an eye. It’s hard to imagine or remember how we did life without you.
Your Dad and I have talked and dreamt for years about the life we wanted for our family. We have big dreams to show you the world. Sometimes the world feels scary, but I’ve learned that staying curious helps me with those big feelings. I bless you to learn curiosity and to never stop asking questions. And when the answers don’t make sense, keep digging. Try to remember that curiosity is the antidote to judgment.
As we show you the world, I bless you to learn about cultures, religions, customs, and food. Be willing to try new things and learn about things that are different than what you see here. You will learn that the world is smaller than it seems, that we are all more alike than we are different, and that people are generally good and kind.
I bless you that you will be kind, that you will seek out people that need a friend. Friends are some of the greatest blessings in this world and I dream that you will both be a good friend and have good friends.
I bless that you will find things you are passionate about, and relentlessly pursue those things. We will do our best to help you find hobbies that you love, and support you while you do those things. Don’t be afraid to try new things and learn new skills. One of my favorite things about your dad is he’s always learning new things, whether it’s making sushi or taking golf lessons. You can always be learning.
Being a woman in this world isn’t always easy, and a lot of people will have ideas about how you should behave, or what you should be. They will have ideas about how you should and shouldn’t use your body. But this is your life and you get to blaze your own trail. I bless you to remember that your body is an instrument, not an ornament. You are designed to take up space and be both seen and heard. I can’t wait to hear all your awesome ideas and thoughts. I bless you to be brave in the face of adversity and to find your strength. We named you after a very strong woman, Nancy Joy. She followed her passions to Fairview, Utah and built a new life there.
Every year growing up, you will have a chance to honor Nancy Joy by visiting her grave on Memorial Day. This is something I’ve done every year of my life, and it’s one of my favorite traditions, and I can’t wait to include you. Some years are fun, some are hard, and every year is a little bittersweet as we remember the people we loved who are no longer with us. I bless you to remember the family who came before you, and the legacy they left for you by hearing and understanding their stories.
I bless you to find the fun and joy in life, and laugh at things that are funny. You came into this world surrounded by joy. Your dad and I love having fun, whether it’s watching baseball, cooking together, traveling, or taking simple walks around the lake. We will make sure to include you in our adventures, and add new ones as we learn what you love. This life is meant to be joyful and happy, and I bless you to find and pursue things that bring you joy.
Above all, I bless you to know how deeply loved you are, by your grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and dear friends. You have so many people in your corner, cheering you on. There isn’t anyone though who loves you more than your Dad and me. From the first moments you were born, I told you how much I loved you and how wanted you were. I promise to keep telling you this for your entire life. There is nothing you can do to make me love you any more or any less. My love for you is infinite and unconditional.
Love,
Your mama


Comments
Post a Comment